Chocolate

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Linz

Reaction score
How much choccy does one put into a 23 lt batch of stout??? and how do you go about it??Primary, secondary?? in the boil even???

Thoughts

Thanks in advance

if u are talking dark compound cooking chocolate - then put the 250gm block in - break it up or better still - grate it up.

Then just add it to the boil.
I do FWCA - First Wort Chocolate Addition :D

Hope this helps.

Grate it, gently melt it, mix with a couple litres of the boiling wort, add to last 15 mins of boil.

Jovial Monk

I can't qiute get my brain around this adding chocolate thing
Chocolate is full of oil/fat , like heaps of it , I would not add any fats to my brews , surely the yeasts don't like it?
You guys do it and I suppose it works for you , I can't say too much here as I have no experence and have never tried this.

But for me personally , well I am not adding chocolate to my brews , just won't sit right with me

Batz :blink:

the chocolate does contain proteins - that is why i add mine at the start of the boil.

You should give it a go.....

You do give up head, but get a nice chocolate flavor.

For a chocolate flavor without the fats, mash say a kilo amber malt in a stout grist, bingo! chocolate flavor.

JM

I tried belgian cooking chocolate in a porter once, adding it in the last 10 minutes or so of the boil.

Can sort of taste the chocolate, but seemed to just get the bitter taste from it. Not sure I would add it to the boil again.

Any thoughts on adding in secondary?

Wreck.

There is an article on adding chocolate to beer in the latest BYO. Haven't had a chance to read it yet. Has anyone else ?

Beers,
Doc

I'm interested in this too, was thinking of adding some chocolate, and some coffee to make a mocha stout :)

I need a fix of chocolate stout, as my local bottle shop doesnt stock youngs double chocolate stout anymore, damn them to hell!

one could always eat some chocolate will sipping a nice cold stout. <_<

Doc said:
There is an article on adding chocolate to beer in the latest BYO. Haven't had a chance to read it yet. Has anyone else ?

Beers,
Doc
Just a quick skim doc - recommends the use of pure cocoa powder to minimise the amount of cocoa butter and hence the fats, deinitely not comercial eating chocoloate, though good quality unsweetened baking chocolate is a possibility.

big d said:
one could always eat some chocolate will sipping a nice cold stout. <_<
big d,
funny you say that. Last friday when I got home the Mrs had been baking. Betty Crocker brownie fudge. While I was downing an Oatmeal STout later that evening I thought I would try this brownie fudge. I have never tried this before and I cant beleive how well the stout went with all that chocolate fudge. I actually found myself enjoying it.
At least now I know I can have beer with my entrees, mains and deserts. :lol: :lol:
cheers

I've made a triple chocolate stout using cooking chocolate, cocoa powder and tons of chocolate malt. It took a few months to taste good and then it tasted really good.

The cooking chocolate needs to be added early in the boil and the boil should be skimmed frequently to remove most of the fat from the cocoa butter. I used one standard block, whatever that is, about 450-500g?? I also added two tablespoons of cocoa powder. This came thru as very bitter when it was young but tasted good once the beer matured.

Head retension and density was fine.

cocoa powder is very bitter - this is why i dont use it in my beers.

I use Dark Compound Cooking chocolate.

Bf ..You picked it in one!!!

Thats why I was asking......

Back