Chocolate Wheaton Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PostModern

Iron Wolf Brewery
Reaction score
"PoMo's Chocolate Wheaton Stout".

Mini mash:
1Kg wheat malt (or however much I have left - for thick head and grain
character)
100g cara aroma (350EBC)
200g Caramunich III (for a toffee taste and creamy mouthfeel)
500g Pale Ale malt (just to use up old stock)

In the boil:
Mini Mash sweet wort (above)
500g of DME
15g Tettnanger (as it's all I have except for Saaz) 40 mins
At flame out I'll add 200g of dark compounded cooking chocolate.
Might add some (100g or so) brown sugar too.

In the fermenter:
Above plus 1.7Kg can of Coopers Stout.

Just making a quick stout kit but want something a little different at the same time.

GMK, you mention adding chocolate to dark beers, is melting it in the wort at flameout the method you use? Does it add much "chocolate" flavour? I notice the ingredients include a bit of oil. Does this float out or cause problems with head formation/retension?

Comment/suggestions? Youngs put chocolate malt AND chocolate in their luxury double chocolate stout. They must be doing something right. Just an idea.

Also, I have seen cocoa used in some recipes for chocolate flavour. No oil in that. Just another idea.

I put the chocolate in as in FWH....

The boiling helps to get rid of any oil.

hmmm, sounds interesting. id have to consider this if i do another stout this year.

for the yeast are you just using the packet from the coopers kit?
joe

joecast said:
for the yeast are you just using the packet from the coopers kit?
No, I'm culturing up a starter of WLP007- Dry English Ale. It's like WLP002 but with higher attenuation, I'm told.

Thanks Ken, for the FWH tip. Never had a head retension prob? Is 200g about the right dose?

I might add choc malt as well, as deebee has suggested. It was largely Doc's thread on Youngs choc stout that inspired me to brew this.

PoMo,

How did this beer turn out ?

Beers,
Doc

And 4 years later, I respond to bumpage :p

The beer came out really well. Was a major favourite of my Mrs. I was just poking around looking for this recipe as I'm thinking of doing something like it again, only this time AG. It was much nicer than Youngs.

Hey Pomo,

Maybe try floating the chocolate in the mash ;)

Latest posts

Back