Chocolate Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stout75

Reaction score
G'day all just bottled a stout that has been brewing for 7 days,I put one Chico and one carb drop per 750 bottle. I will let you know how the Chico go with aiding the chic aftertaste

G'day all just bottled a stout that has been brewing for 7 days,I put one Chico and one carb drop per 750 bottle. I will let you know how the Chico go with aiding the chic aftertaste

I dont know if this will work or not. I'm sure one of the guys with more knowledge will comment. But this just made me laugh. I hope it turns out sensational. Thanks for the chuckle.

I don't think anything in it will effect the beer in a negative way, I would only be more concerned about over carbonating.

Ingredients - Glucsoe Syrup (wheat or corn), Cane Sugar, Thickener (1401or1420), Gelatine, Full Cream Milk Powder, cocoa, Salt, Flavours. CONTAINS MILK AND WHEAT STARCH.

I measured the weight vs calorific value of the chicos and one Chico is less than a carb drop so shouldn't over carbonate, you never know though. Put down a brew of ginger beer yesterday arv1 x can coopers ginger beer500g raw suger500g brewing dextrose( I think that's what it was, hope it wasn't powdered glucose)2 x lemons halved, put in with the hot water at the beginning 300g of peeled and shredded ginger root.All made up to 23L then yeast pitched. Has been going off it's nut bubbling all afternoon.Don't know how this will turn out but will keep you posted

Dextrose is powdered glucose, under a microscope the molecules are exactly the same only mirrored. So one is liquid form and the other is powder form. Your recipe should work well but try adding a cinamon quill or 2. This will compliment wonderfully.

Cheers jake

I will try the cinnamon in the next batch. I will need to do another 3 batches to have enough for Christmas. Still need another2 brews of stout for chrissy as well so will be brewing a bit in the next couple of months

i am brewing i dark ale and as a mistake i added milk chocolate for colour, this did end up making the wort tast nice with a chocolaty flavour but turned it to a milky colour that i dont think is gonna go away.

heres a link that gave me alot of answers i was looking for.

http://www.byo.com/component/resource/arti...-with-chocolate

just wanna let you know that i have bottled the dark ale i was making with milk chocolate added to it, it did go very milky/cloudy in the fermenter but by time i added finings and bottled it, it had dropped out and cleared right up.
not to mention it tasted great and the 150g of milk chocolate was noticable.

i would say your stout should be amazing.

+1 for the whacky concept and idea.

I just put together the following which I am hoping will be nice for Christmas - got the recipe from the Coopers website.

1 x can Thomas Coppers Irish Stout
1 x can Coopers Amber liquid malt extract - 1.5kg
300g chocolate malt steeped for 30 minutes

once the fermentation slows a little I will add a 50ml bottle of chocolate flavoured liqueur base.

Any suggestions on how that could be improved?

I just put together the following which I am hoping will be nice for Christmas - got the recipe from the Coopers website.

1 x can Thomas Coppers Irish Stout
1 x can Coopers Amber liquid malt extract - 1.5kg
300g chocolate malt steeped for 30 minutes

once the fermentation slows a little I will add a 50ml bottle of chocolate flavoured liqueur base.

Any suggestions on how that could be improved?

I went to do this recipe back in May. The bloke at my LHBS suggested using a Muntons Export Stout kit rather than the Irish Stout. IIRC the reason for this was that the Irish style is a little drier.
Cracked the third-last bottle last week and it's very close to a Young's Double Chocolate Stout.

My concern isn't so much the Chico overcarbing (actually sounds like a really good idea) I'd be worried about the 7days fermenting, with stouts 7days has never been any where near long enough for me.

Don't stouts generally have more slowly fermented sugars so need at least a couple of weeks to make sure it's as finished as it can be?

I have recently bottle a batch of stout and used dex to prime half and used a combo of dex and Lindt 85% cocoa cholcolate for the other half, certianly makes for a nice touch,
gives a smooth choc flavour that isnt in your face but really does something special to the finished product.
Bottled 13 litres using about 55g of dex boiled up in 500 ml water with 150gm of choc, you have to make sure your brew is given a regular swirl (very gently) while bottling to avoid it settling out.

I use organic cocoa nibs in my choc stout as the flavour is a lot better than extract.
Just stick them in the oven for a bit and then put them in a bit of vodka (just enough to cover) for 48 hrs and throw them in secondary for a week.

Back