Quantcast

Chocolate Stout

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

brownegaz

Reaction score
I am about to make a chocolate stout using Coopers extract kits plus some additional choc malt etc how do people add the chocolate, the recpie I am trying calls for chocolate essence during fermentation however some recipes call for cocoa or chocolate topping to be added during the boil, suggestions welcome.

Kranky

Reaction score
Chocolate nibs also impart a good chocolate flavour. I put them in secondary as you would dry hops. They can work well with coffee beans and vanilla beans.

Ryan WABC

Reaction score
I can speak from experience when I say give the chocolate topping a miss.

manticle

Standing up for the Aussie Bottler
Reaction score
Toasted cacao nibs give plenty of choc flavour. A blend of good quality cocoa, choc malt and lactose also works if you want a bit of seetness and body but my vote is the nibs. toasted, 3 days in secondary = powerful choc but no extra sweetness etc.

erniebeer

Reaction score
Im about to go for a chocolate porter. Using lindt chocolate 85% cocoa would you recommend heating it up adding a bit of vodka to sterlise it so to speak then add to secondary fermenter or simply put in the boil? Id like to achieve a well rounded chocolate flavour to the brew. Any extra info that people have id appreciate.

Regards

Toasted cacao nibs give plenty of choc flavour. A blend of good quality cocoa, choc malt and lactose also works if you want a bit of seetness and body but my vote is the nibs. toasted, 3 days in secondary = powerful choc but no extra sweetness etc.

Muscovy_333

Reaction score
Im about to go for a chocolate porter. Using lindt chocolate 85% cocoa would you recommend heating it up adding a bit of vodka to sterlise it so to speak then add to secondary fermenter or simply put in the boil? Id like to achieve a well rounded chocolate flavour to the brew. Any extra info that people have id appreciate.

Regards

Go with Manticles suggestion. Much better option.
real chocolate does not equate to a well rounded chocolate flavour.

manticle

Reaction score

Regards
I've only ever used high cocoa content choc in a mash, not in a boil. My suggestions above will give a good choc flavour hit.

brownegaz

Reaction score
Where do you get cocoa nibs from, I will call into Woolwrths on the way home from work for a look.

Ross

CraftBrewer
Reaction score
Toasted cacao nibs give plenty of choc flavour.

I've never thought of toasting them, i just grind to a powder & dry nib or add to the boil - Have you tried both ways? what is the difference?

cheers Ross

manticle

Reaction score
I've only ever toasted them but just the aroma from toasting is fantastic. A bit like the difference between ground cumin seeds and toasted ground cummin seeds if you know what I mean. House fills up with chocolate aroma. I did a coconut choc porter that used dessicated coconut and cacao nibs - toasted them together and the aroma was divine.

Real easy to burn though.

Anyway my currently conditioning sour choc porter has a magnificent choc flavour after a few days of toasted dry nibbing.

I might try raw versus toasted in just a glass of each and see (ex chef in me would object to raw nibbing a whole batch until I've done a tester).

Thefatdoghead

Reaction score
I've only ever toasted them but just the aroma from toasting is fantastic. A bit like the difference between ground cumin seeds and toasted ground cummin seeds if you know what I mean. House fills up with chocolate aroma. I did a coconut choc porter that used dessicated coconut and cacao nibs - toasted them together and the aroma was divine.

Real easy to burn though.

Anyway my currently conditioning sour choc porter has a magnificent choc flavour after a few days of toasted dry nibbing.

I might try raw versus toasted in just a glass of each and see (ex chef in me would object to raw nibbing a whole batch until I've done a tester).
I chucked a whole bag from Ross in 20L of Porter a while back. Dry nib'ed for 4 day's. The result was just a hint of choc in the aftertaste and very smooth. I'll try toast them next time.

Logman

The most interesting man on AHB
Reaction score
I did a double batch of Oatmeal Stout about 6 weeks back - used one bar of 85% Lindt - no/little choc taste at all really. Not knocking the Stout, it tastes bloody great and very smooth. After tasting it I immediately looked into nibs after seeing them on the CB site previously, might try a Lindt 85% in the brew and dry nib as well next time.

Edit - broke it up in smallish pieces and added them while stirring with the paddle once a really good boil was going - no issues....

brownegaz

Reaction score
OK Thanks for all the replies, I will use 100g of cocoa nibs I bought from my local health food shop, ground to a powder and mixed into 500ml of hot water to liquify, allow it to cool a little then pour into the fermenter once the krausen starts to drop back into the fermenter, next time I might use cocoa nibs in the mash instead of in the fermenter.?

Kranky

Reaction score
Cocoa nibs contain a lot of fat, apparently, from memory 95%. My understanding on how to use them (albiet limited) is to dry hop only with nibs.

manticle

Reaction score
I think you might need to check that figure. As far as I'm aware, the fat content is lower than most nuts, certainly lower than 95%.

Another benefit of toasting is that oils are released so you have the choice of not adding to the brew.

wally

Netherby ThunderBrew Abbey - home of the MashMonke
Reaction score
Sorry to bring up an old topic, but I'm interested in trying cacao nibs in a robust porter.

Manticle; I note from your post here that you recommend toasting the nibs and adding them to the secondary. My question is :- How much to add for a 23 litre batch and do they need to be ground?

Cheers,

Wally

Latest posts