Chocolate Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewer_010

Curry Master
Reaction score
If there are any experienced stout brewers out there that can help me with a chocolate stout please. I have put together this recipe after looking at some on this site plus in 'Beer Captured'. What I'm after is a pretty hefty stout with lots of chocolate & coffee flavour, some crystal sweetness and finishing roasty and dry (with some hop flavour mingling there too). However I haven't used roasted barley before and looking at some recipes it hasn't inspired my confidence much - some use 6% others up around 12-15%. Descriptions say this is dry and beersmith has maximum of 10%.

To balance the chocolate/crystal malt below, and tend to a drier finish, is 9% adequate or should I be leaning towards more like 12%? Thanks for the help!

Double Chocolate Stout
Brew Type: Extract
Date: 24/01/2009
Style: Dry Stout
Brewer: Inhale
Batch Size: 20.00 L Assistant Brewer:
Boil Volume: 22.89 L Boil Time: 60 min
Taste Rating (50 possible points): 35.0

Ingredients
Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.40 kg Light Dry Extract (15.8 EBC) Dry Extract 70.2 %
0.20 kg Wheat Dry Extract (15.8 EBC) Dry Extract 5.8 %
0.31 kg Roasted Barley (591.0 EBC) Grain 9.1 %
0.17 kg Caraaroma (400.0 EBC) Grain 5.0 %
0.17 kg Choc-Chit Malt (700.0 EBC) Grain 5.0 %
0.17 kg Chocolate Malt (750.0 EBC) Grain 5.0 %
10.00 gm Green Bullet [13.50%] (60 min) Hops 20.2 IBU
10.00 gm Green Bullet [13.50%] (40 min) Hops 15.3 IBU
20.00 gm Fuggles [4.00%] (30 min) Hops 6.1 IBU
20.00 gm Fuggles [4.00%] (15 min) Hops 3.2 IBU
0.50 tsp Koppa Floc (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile
Estimated Original Gravity: 1.049 SG (1.036-1.050 SG)
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.012 SG (1.007-1.011 SG)
Estimated Color: 75.8 EBC (49.3-88.7 EBC) Color [Color]
Bitterness: 44.8 IBU (30.0-45.0 IBU) Alpha Acid Units: 2.9 AAU
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 4.8 % (4.0-5.0 %)

I reckon if this is a first attempt at making a chocolate stout, your recipie is too complicated.
You wont be able to work out what to change later to tweak it to make it your perfect brew.
Perhaps switch light DME for Liquid Dark and drop the wheat ext.
I also feel there is a lot of hop additions for the aromas of chocolate and coffee you are after.

I reckon if this is a first attempt at making a chocolate stout, your recipie is too complicated.
You wont be able to work out what to change later to tweak it to make it your perfect brew.
Perhaps switch light DME for Liquid Dark and drop the wheat ext.
I also feel there is a lot of hop additions for the aromas of chocolate and coffee you are after.

I think you're right about the hopping rate, thanks, I will drop the fuggles to a single 20min addition.

But getting back to my central question, "is 9% roasted barley adequate or should it be more around 12-15%"

I have used all the other ingredients before (in porters), and essentially made the recipe after looking at other stout recipes on this site and 'beer captured'. I do want a bit of a roasty dry aftertaste, but not so much that it is like sucking on charcoal (hence my question).

Cheers

It wasn't an AG brew, but my attempt at a Foreign Extra stout went alright with 200g Chocolate and 100g Black Patent grains. The patent [roasted] came through pretty strong and I was advised to halve the amount when I was asking around, but decided to stick with it and was pleased with the result. My total recipe was as follows, nice and easy:

Coopers real ale kit 1.7kg [had the IBU's I wanted before my 20min addition]
1500g dark liquid malt extract
500g light dried malt extract
500g Crystal
200g Choc
100g Black
20g Goldings @ 20min
20g Goldings in secondary for 7 days.

I can't remember what the IBUs worked out at, but I think the nudged 40. I forget the yeast, but there was slight diacytle [sic?], otherwise not too bad.

End point is I'd probably be looking at easing back on the roasted a bit, for me 100g was pretty strong in 21L. Otherwise, ride it out and see what you get! Hell, I did and it seems fine.

CHeers - boingk

Latest posts

Back