Chocolate Cream Stout Cake

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Reaction score

This recipe is from "The Homebrewer's Recipe Guide"

Rich, moist and chocolaty, this cake is one of our most requested recipes. It has become the traditional birthday cake in our house. What better way to celebrate --lots of birthday home-brew topped off with this delicious homebrew cake!

Cake
2 tablespoons plus 1 1/2 cups butter
1 1/3 cups dark cocoa
1 (12-ounce) bottle cream stout
1 teaspoon salt
3 cups unbleached flour
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
3 eggs
3/4 cup sour cream

Icing
4 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate morsels
1 ounce Grand Marnier
3/4 cup chopped walnuts
1 tablespoon scalded milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Use the 2 tablespoons of butter to grease two 10-inch springform pans. Dust with 1/3 cup cocoa. In a large mixing bowl, sift together the remaining cocoa, salt, flour and baking soda. Melt 1 1/2 cups butter in a heavy saucepan. Stir in stout. Remove from heat. Beat into dry ingredients a little at a time. Add eggs and sour cream, and mix at medium speed for 2 minutes. Pour batter into pans and bake for 30 to 35 minutes. A toothpick inserted into the center should come out clean. Cool on wire racks 10 minutes, then remove sides and cool completely.

For the icing, cream the butter and sugar and set aside. Melt the chocolate ( a few minutes in the microwave works well ) and whish in the Grand Marnier. Mix half of the chocolate mixture into the butter and sugar, then fold in the nuts. Use the creamed nut frosting between the layers. Whisk the scalded milk into the remaining chocolate and pour over the cake.

Who's going to give this one a go??? Sounds yummy

Cheers,
Doc

Doc,

your wife must be THE "beer widow"!
...God help her if she's a tee-totaller

...surely the kids must think Santa's helpers are named Fuggles and Golding and Saaz and Blitzen!
(I think that last one is a little known Czech hop from before the war ;) )

does your car run on beer yet?

I love the reassurance it gives me to see your posts... I can reclaim my perspective and know I'm only mildly insane about brewing :unsure: :ph34r: :lol:

....but isn't cake fattening?

tho' nutritionally balanced with the stout n all ;)

Well me wife does not like beer.
She is a champagne girl.

However it is all about balance, organisation, prioritisation and multi-tasking, while maintaing the force young padwon. :D

I can say though that I'm the master of baby minding while still avoiding boil-overs and controlling the speed of the sparge.

Maybe we should have a poll on time management and brewing ;)

Cheers,
Doc

Everyday I thank my lucky stars that I can brew at work!!! :D

If I had to do it at home, I'd never get a batch down! :(

You a legend Doc! B)

:chug:

I just use smoke and mirrors. And good timing. While the Lil' Lady is watching Survivor, I just tell her I'm going downstairs to "sharpen the mower blades and tidy up". This usually turns into a four hour partial mash and a very tasty pale ale or a stout or a red ale or a wheat beer or a doppelbock or a..........

God know's what I'm gonna do when Survivor finishes this week. Maybe I could get her hooked on Buffy re-runs.....

Stand up for yourselves - be real men - and take control of the situation. You say "Woman, I will be brewing all day Sunday week. Please lord, it has been six weeks since my last brewsession."

Gotta get in early to maintain the peace, a week or more notice will do the world of good...they might roll their eyes and bitch for a while, but stick to your guns.

Dreamboat

Cant agree more.

you know your in control when you tell the wife that you will be brewing at 2.00pm Sunday arvo - Mothers Day...

No problem...she takes the kids to the movies while you make a Coopers Sparkling Ale Clone (with Belgian Candi Sugar)

Broimthebosswhenshesnotaroundandletsmebe.

Half your luck, GMK. My wife's idea of a good Mother's Day is when she doesn't have to see or hear the children that she's supposed to be celebrating her motherhood of!

When I brew during the day I just get ragged for not painting the bedroom, building the back garden, mowing the lawn, babysitting..... so night time brews are the go for now.

I know I'm weak...but at least my homebrewing means I can justify drinking more beer :p

Snow said:
...but at least my homebrewing means I can justify drinking more beer
Really? And here I thought marriage in and of itself was justification enough :p

Cheers,
Pete

PMyers

I can feel a Slogan coming on.....

You know you love your beer.....

When homebrewing makes the marriage more interesting!

you did very well to get a brew down on mothers day.

my brew days are usually a 6 or 7 hour affair, so evening brewing is right out of the question, so i just try to stay on-side, and brew as big as i can when i get the chance....20-40 litres depending on the og.

Doc said:

This recipe is from "The Homebrewer's Recipe Guide"

Rich, moist and chocolaty, this cake is one of our most requested recipes. It has become the traditional birthday cake in our house. What better way to celebrate --lots of birthday home-brew topped off with this delicious homebrew cake!

Cake
2 tablespoons plus 1 1/2 cups butter
1 1/3 cups dark cocoa
1 (12-ounce) bottle cream stout
1 teaspoon salt
3 cups unbleached flour
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
3 eggs
3/4 cup sour cream

Icing
4 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate morsels
1 ounce Grand Marnier
3/4 cup chopped walnuts
1 tablespoon scalded milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Use the 2 tablespoons of butter to grease two 10-inch springform pans. Dust with 1/3 cup cocoa. In a large mixing bowl, sift together the remaining cocoa, salt, flour and baking soda. Melt 1 1/2 cups butter in a heavy saucepan. Stir in stout. Remove from heat. Beat into dry ingredients a little at a time. Add eggs and sour cream, and mix at medium speed for 2 minutes. Pour batter into pans and bake for 30 to 35 minutes. A toothpick inserted into the center should come out clean. Cool on wire racks 10 minutes, then remove sides and cool completely.

For the icing, cream the butter and sugar and set aside. Melt the chocolate ( a few minutes in the microwave works well ) and whish in the Grand Marnier. Mix half of the chocolate mixture into the butter and sugar, then fold in the nuts. Use the creamed nut frosting between the layers. Whisk the scalded milk into the remaining chocolate and pour over the cake.

Who's going to give this one a go??? Sounds yummy

Cheers,
Doc
It is my wedding anniversary and my wifes birthday next month.
She loves chocolate.
Might finally give this a bash.

Has anyone else test driven it ?

Doc

This looks like a US recipe

only issue is that a 12 ounce bottle would be a stubby I guess ?

confectioners sugar would be icing sugar

chocolate morsels would probably be chocolate buds ?

Rod

A cream stout is a sweeter brew

I believe the cream comes from using lactose to leave some residual milk sugar

The lactose will not be fermented by the yeast

Back