Choc Topping Replacing Sugar

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi chaps, working up this recipe for an middle of the road aussie/choc stout, something unique for winter yknow:

20L wort
2 x coopers Kit yeast (the IPA yeast and a spare sparkling ale yeast)

Coopers IPA
1.5kg dark LME
choc malt 200gm
600gm brown sugar

I'd like to replace some of the brown sugar with some no frills choc topping for a bit of extra flava.
Any advice on substitution ratios? The bottle indicates it contains 55gm of "sugars" per 100gm
Should I take that as a good indicator or are they likely to be "unfermentable" sugars in the mix?

"The Holy Spreadsheet" indicates it will throw these values before I mangle it with the topping:
OG 1.064
FG 1.014
IBU 44.3
EBC 77.2

I'd be more concerned about the other ingredients in that home brand chocolate topping and whether or not you want them in your beer.

The sugars in it will be very fermentable, no complex sugars in that stuff.

Each to their own, but I wouldn't be making beer with chocolate topping. Have you done a search to see what types of things others have done to get choc flavours in their beers? I can't offer any suggestions, as I haven't gone down that route before, but there is probably better ways to get the flavour you seek.

Doing a search is a good idea but maybe not only for the reasons stated above.

Wide range of results discussed here: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...e+topping\ Some positive, some negative. Lots more around the place if you want to spend a bit more time looking.

Good luck with it.

I don't know about the chocolate, but if it were me, I'd be using a different kit for a stout. I don't know, maybe.... stout? or Irish stout? Call me crazy, I know.

I definitely wouldn't use the chocolate topping. you will get more flavour out of the chocolate malt, topping is most likely full of preservatives and god knows what else that could screw with your beer. I understand you want to make your kit beers more interesting but there are better ways to do it. I would talk to your homebrew shops or one of the fine ones on this forum about better ways to do it, generally different yeast, adding some flavour hops, different steeping grains etc. anyway good luck and keep brewing

Odd mix of kits.

Why not do the tried and true Stout twocan ... maybe with some extra choc-chit or similar for flavour.

If you replace the IPA with a stout kit the EBC goes off the charts. I'm also not a fan of dry stouts which most kits are.
I've read quite a few recipes involving choc topping and done a bit of research on it. I'll leave the topping out this time around and report back on how it goes.
Using dark brown sugar which should give it some extra oomph anyways along with the choc grain.
What's choc chit?

Choc Chit is a chocolate malt made by Joe White unfortunately they don't make it any more. I can't remember off hand what happened to it probably the commercial brew that used it stopped. Link to Choc-Chit

I would drop the choc topping and use 300g of roast barley and the 200g of choc malt. The roast barley throws a fair bit of chocolate as well.

When you are boiling the mash runnings add in 200g of cocoa as well.

Cheers Brad

Back