Choc Porter/Stout recipe, critique please

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sp0rk

Mayor of Pooptown
Reaction score
*edit* changed from a make me a recipe thread to a how's my recipe look thread
Here's my first go at a dark beer, basically just Jamil's robust porter with a few small differences
any suggestions or feedback would be very appreciated

Sp0rk's Porter (Robust Porter)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.064 (°P): 15.7
Final Gravity (FG): 1.016 (°P): 4.1
Alcohol (ABV): 6.29 %
Colour (SRM): 33.9 (EBC): 66.8
Bitterness (IBU): 28.6 (Average)

80.58% Maris Otter Malt
10.51% Munich I
5.41% Chocolate
3.5% Black Roasted Barley

2 g/L East Kent Golding (5.4% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
0.9 g/L East Kent Golding (5.4% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 20°C with Wyeast 1728 - Scottish Ale

And some people have told me not to, but I'm considering putting some chocolate into the boil
Any ideas on what type of chocolate and how much?

Looks like a pretty nice recipe to me. There's a recipe on the CB website that has 500g dark chocolate in the boil. I've never tried it myself but I'm thinking about it next time I make my "house porter" recipe.

If you are going to add chocolate to the boil use as pure as you can get, I use 85% lindt.
Have not used in the boil, I have used it in my priming solution but want to try in the boil. I have seen it done but never tasted the results.
I would think the best option is to use coverture but thats gets pricey(about $25 a kilo).
Add it late in the boil, maybe 10 mins to melt and mix through and stir after adding so it doesn't glug on the bottom and burn.

Might go 400grams of Lindt 70% Cocoa dessert cooking chocolate at 10-15 minutes before the end of the boil

Search this forum for cocoa nibs and pay attention to posts by manticle.

Thanks ploto
on further investigation, Cocoa nibs might be a better idea
luckily one of the health food stores in town stocks them so I'll go check them out after work
might chuck 2 vanilla bean pods in secondary too

I brewed a chocolate oatmeal stout with Cacao Nibs last Saturday and added them at the start of the boil,

Recipe looks good. I'm a fan of dark chocolate, and I personally love the use of cocoa powder to bring out that bitter-sweet flavour.

My Old Gold Chocolate Porter just took out Best of Show at the annual BABBs comp for the second year in a row last night. The recipe for it can be found in last October's newsletter (page 4). It evolved from Fourstar's REAL Chocolate Porter recipe. I've brewed it half a dozen times now and have settled on about 10g/L of cocoa.

Grabbed some cocao nibs yesterday, $10 for 100g was the cheapest I could find
They're already crushed, does anyone know if they melt when toasted?

I recently made a chocolate stout.

I used 80g of coco last 5 min of the boil and 50ml chocolate extract at bottling time.

It has a nice chocolate flavour.

I ended up with around 65% efficiency, so not fantastic, but not terrible I guess

Latest posts

Back