Choc Malt, How Much Do I Need

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yum beer

Not in the house, you've got a shed..
Reaction score
getting organised to put down a porter/stout as my next batch...first stout...now Im getting my system worked out, last brew hit all numbers at 70%.

anyway, I have enjoyed Mildura brewing Choc Hops and Youngs Double Chocolate Stout recently and would like to get that noticable chocolate

flavour in my beer.
How much choc malt would folks recomend or how much have you used for what results.

Here is the recipe I have out together from plenty of reading....

Original Gravity (OG): 1.048 (P): 11.9
Final Gravity (FG): 1.012 (P): 3.1
Alcohol (ABV): 4.72 %
Colour (SRM): 29.0 (EBC): 57.1
Bitterness (IBU): 39.1 (Average)

54.84% Pale Ale Malt
19.35% Maris Otter Malt
8.06% Chocolate- absolute home brew
8.06% Flaked Oats
6.45% Caraamber
2.58% Carafa I malt
0.65% Black Roasted Barley

1.1 g/L Target (9% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
1.8 g/L East Kent Golding (4.7% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
0.9 g/L Hallertau Mittlefrueh (6.3% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 67C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 75 Minutes

Fermented at 13C with Wyeast 1099 - Whitbread Ale

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Any opinions or advice.

Looks pretty good.

Cold steep dark grains the nite before. Get some cacao nibs, why the hallertau?

Manticle was saying a couple of weeks ago that the taste from Young's is chocolate essence, same taste in Mildura. 4 Pines Stout has a hint of it too but not as strong.

Have you used 1099 down at 13C before? I just pitched some last night at 18C.

I believe Youngs uses actual chocolate - twice.

I have used cacao nibs to add a nice chocolate hit. A little vanilla can give an impresssion of sweetness which helps round out the chocolate nicely too.

Chocolate Malt is a bit of a misnomer the flavour it imparts is actually coffee. Linky.

Try a mix of chocolate malt, lactose and toasted cacao nibs dry 'nibbed'.

I get both chocolate and coffee from choc malt and the sweetness and creaminess from lactose brings out the choc character more.

It will be different from the youngs - a beer I'm not a fan of at all but should have a nice, discernible choc character.

Not sure of percentages but I have previously used 500g lactose, 250 -300g choc and a blend of other roast malts/grains (including roast barley and black) with 5.5-6kg of base in 20-22L. If not wanting the coffee character you get from RB, I'd replace it with carafa.

Don't think you'll have much joy with 1099 at that temp though. I'd bump her up to 18 - it's a good yeast in a dark beer.

As for the Young's - it uses both dark chocolate and a choc essence. Tastes too much like chocolate topping for my liking.

http://www.wellsandyoungs.co.uk/home/our-b...chocolate-stout

Chocolate Malt is a bit of a misnomer the flavour it imparts is actually coffee. Linky.

Agreed, and it may just be my personal taste, but I only use 2-3% Choc malt max

Maybe a handful of Roasted Barley may give you more a taste for what you are after, also have a look at other adjuncts as John mentioned I would look at cocoa.

QldKev

Mants how long do you toast the cacao nibs for? do you do it under the griller,then add then to the secondary?,ive going to have a 1275 slurry ready soon how would this yeast go with the choc porter???

I've only used 1275 once and that's in a currently conditioning all oat beer. I think most UK liquids I've used would work though.

I toast the nibs till they are aromatic. They are easy to burn. Allow them to sit on absorbent paper for a bit after toasting as some oil is released and this can mess up head retention.

Under the griller or in the oven, 5-10 mins in oven, less under the grill, make sure you move them about a bit in either case and keep in a single layer.

As manticle said you can get more of a choc flavour instead of coffee if it is balanced out to be a sweeter beer. I'd drop the bitterness a touch if you want to exentuate the choc flavour instead of coffee, or add some more sweetness via crystal malts or lactose.

thanks everyone, just to clarify a few things,

I dont know why ferment temp is 13, should be 18...I think 13 is the default setting, mainly been doing lagers of late.

Hallertau, I read it somewhere, cant remember where exactly but it is used commercially in a stout, its gotta be where I came up with that....not something I would of considered
doing myself.

Will look at dropping the bitterness a little and adding a bit of lactose.

I dont want a chocolate beer but rather the taste be on the sweet choclate side than the bitter coffee side, hopefully it will be all right.

I'll try it anyway and make adjustments next time as need be.

Back