Choc/ Coffee Oatmeal Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rallan33

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I’m planning to brew up a Fergs oatmeal stout this weekend, using a wort kit (from Grain & Grape). I wanted to add coffee beans and cacao nibs to the brew. But wasn’t sure how to add them? At what stage and whether they should be added directly into the fermenter?
I’m leaning towards a ‘tea bag’ approach towards the end of fermentation. But I’m a bit concerned about the sterilization of the beans.

I’m brewing a 19L batch, so any recommendations on the amount of coffee/ nibs? And what’s the overall best approach.

Cheers!

There is some good reading in this thread Rallan. I haven't done it myself but now i'm thinking I may do so in the next brew. Looks like post boil or in the keg is the way to go.

There is some good reading in this thread Rallan. I haven't done it myself but now i'm thinking I may do so in the next brew. Looks like post boil or in the keg is the way to go.
Awesome mate. Thanks for the suggestion! I’ll check out the link and see what I can find. Cheers

My suggestion is to cold brew the coffee and add towards the end of fermentation. As for th cocoa nibs they really need to be boiled to extract the most flavour, again add the liqour only with the cold brewed coffee towards the end of fermentation - say about 75% attenuation.

Thanks for the advice. I’ve done a lot of reading and I think that this is the way to go! Cold brew sounds like it will impart the most flavour. The boiling of cacao nibs also sounds like a good idea!

Cheers mate

Thanks for the advice. I’ve done a lot of reading and I think that this is the way to go! Cold brew sounds like it will impart the most flavour. The boiling of cacao nibs also sounds like a good idea!

Cheers mate
It is not just flavour, not cold steeping and adding to the mash, even roasted barley and other very dark grains can add an unwanted astringent bitterness that is easily avoided by cold steeping. As for Cocoa, I don't think that gives up astringency so gently boiling will extract more flavour, or/and use unsweetened cocoa, cocoa nibs can get expensive for what they are.

It is not just flavour, not cold steeping and adding to the mash, even roasted barley and other very dark grains can add an unwanted astringent bitterness that is easily avoided by cold steeping. As for Cocoa, I don't think that gives up astringency so gently boiling will extract more flavour, or/and use unsweetened cocoa, cocoa nibs can get expensive for what they are.
Great point. I'm a huge coffee fanatic - especially filter coffee. So I can understand the importance of finding the right brew for the job and avoiding those unwanted astringent notes.
As for the cacao nibs, I've got some sitting in the cupboard which are still fresh so I'll give them a boil before adding the the fermenter.

In terms of adding the cold brew coffee and cacao brew to the fermenter, would you suggest adding them about 2-3 days prior to the end of fermentation? Maybe add the at around day 11 of fermentation and then cold crash and bottle on day 13-14, for example?

Cheers

My suggestion is to cold brew the coffee and add towards the end of fermentation. As for th cocoa nibs they really need to be boiled to extract the most flavour, again add the liqour only with the cold brewed coffee towards the end of fermentation - say about 75% attenuation.
Have you had any experience in roasting the cacao nibs? Or is boiling the best way to go?

Cocoa nibs have already been roasted, you can try double roasting if you like but don't know what the results are likely to be

Cocoa nibs have already been roasted, you can try double roasting if you like but don't know what the results are likely to be
Thanks mate. I gave them a light roasting and a lot of the aromatics came to life - the whole kitchen smelled like chocolate! I think soaked them in whisky for 24hrs and then put them in the primary.
mill leave them for a week and then bottle. So far it’s tasting great - definitely getting plenty of chocolate notes coming through.

Has anyone tried adding cacao in any form to stout at some stage during fermentation?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210912-010702_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210912-010702_Chrome.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 33
If you mean raw Cacao, I wouldn’t, it is fairly high in fat ~50% (Cocoa Butter). On the other hand cocoa solids are low in fat and bring most of the chocolate flavours to the beer.
Any fats/oils (lipids) are very head negative in brewing we tend to go to fair lengths to avoid lipids. Starting as far back as the choices of barley we malt. So probably a good idea to look at the fat content of anything you want to add to your beer, I'm still a fan of Young’s, it's worth looking at the ingredients on the back of the bottle.
Mark

I’ve been using cacao nibs soaked in vodka for 24hrs. Brings a distinct chocolate character to a stout. You could also add a vanilla been or two but soak in vodka to sterilise.

I've usually got a choc stout on tap, Mark's dropping a fairly big hint ^, if you want that real chocolatey flavour use an extract/essence, for example Top Shelf Chocolate Cream Flavouring
or for a rum barrel aged choc stout Icon Liqueurs Chocolate Rum Flavouring.
Is it "cheating?" quite possibly but if it's good enough for Youngs.
Try dosing a RIS with bourbon essence for a bourbon barrel aged beer, be aware that once you get over the feeling that it isn't quite right, it gets quite addictive.

Hey guys,

I’m planning to brew up a Fergs oatmeal stout this weekend, using a wort kit (from Grain & Grape). I wanted to add coffee beans and cacao nibs to the brew. But wasn’t sure how to add them? At what stage and whether they should be added directly into the fermenter?
I’m leaning towards a ‘tea bag’ approach towards the end of fermentation. But I’m a bit concerned about the sterilization of the beans.

I’m brewing a 19L batch, so any recommendations on the amount of coffee/ nibs? And what’s the overall best approach.

Cheers!
Hey, I’ve done exactly this with exactly this wort kit,
It’s bloody magical, 2nd time I did it, probably went a bit heavy on the cacao nibs, it’s almost cocopops like,

I added both the whole cracked coffee beans and cacao nibs (soaked in vodka) in the same way you would a dry hop,

after fermentation,

also consider adding some lactose,
I used 250g In my first one, I think, and 500g in my second, but that was/is prob to much, still nice though.

if You want the quantities and times, let me know and I’ll try find them.

it’s a great beerby itself, but these additions take it next level imo

I've usually got a choc stout on tap, Mark's dropping a fairly big hint ^, if you want that real chocolatey flavour use an extract/essence, for example Top Shelf Chocolate Cream Flavouring
or for a rum barrel aged choc stout Icon Liqueurs Chocolate Rum Flavouring.
Is it "cheating?" quite possibly but if it's good enough for Youngs.
Try dosing a RIS with bourbon essence for a bourbon barrel aged beer, be aware that once you get over the feeling that it isn't quite right, it gets quite addictive.
So what would be the best way to add vanilla and in what part of the brew. I recently added vanilla paste to a Vanilla Milk Stout and and was disappointed with the result.

So what would be the best way to add vanilla and in what part of the brew. I recently added vanilla paste to a Vanilla Milk Stout and and was disappointed with the result.

whole vanilla beans, split and soaked in vodka, then add it all in post ferment.
I added 2, could go more if you want more notable flavours but was nice for me.

Back