Chlorine Containers For Grain Storage

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Batz

Batz Brewery...Hand crafted beers from the 'Batcav
Reaction score
When the Queenslanders bulk grain order arrives I am going to have to store my grain.

I was in the local AG supplies yesterday and they have used 80lt screw top drums , these look just the thing , two handles and only $15.00 each.

Now they have two types one that stored chlorine , I can smell that !
Ones that stored what smells like olives , these they say are food grade.
Problem is they have more of the chlorine ones , are these ok to use?
Perhaps fill with water for a few days?

My storage will need to be mouse proof .

Batz

Stick it out in the sun for a few days. Sunlight and heat break down chlorine.

Batz, rats can go straight through those containers.

I kept chook food in them, one had a split, it took six months for the rats to discover the split, they chewed straight through. I transferred the contents to a fresh container, and within 24 hours, they had drilled another fist sized hole in it in exactly the same spot.

Make sure that you spill no grain and the containers have no splits in them and you may be ok.

pint of lager said:
Batz, rats can go straight through those containers.

I kept chook food in them, one had a split, it took six months for the rats to discover the split, they chewed straight through. I transferred the contents to a fresh container, and within 24 hours, they had drilled another fist sized hole in it in exactly the same spot.

Make sure that you spill no grain and the containers have no splits in them and you may be ok.
[post="67409"][/post]​

Hi Batz,

Clever Rats, those rodents, they soon learn where a food source exists!!!!!!!!

Back to the drum!!
Chlorine is an Alkaline and Acid is an acid.
Wash the drum out with a strong solution of Phosphoric acid and this will neutralise the alkaline then rinse with the "Batz" brewery spring water and dry.
A neutral condition inside the drum will be fine for grain storage.
Throw away any drums that have cracks then store grains as required.

If you find "mouldy" grains in your recent purchase, then feed this grain to your rats if you feel the need to feed them. :p
Cheers

Batz,
How did these drums turn out for you and what did you do to treat them? Local fruit market has them for $10/pop for 55lt, so perfect for a sack. Need to get them soon as i have 80kg arriving tomorrow.

Cheers, Rob

Latest posts

Back