Chlorinating Sanitizer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KoNG

RIP-FaB (BiBIFaP)
Reaction score
Hey Guys n Gals
new here, intro to come but i have a quick question that hopefully someone has some knowledge on.
i've been given some free food grade sanitizer (same as in the link below)

http://www.pgbrands.com/pages/cleaners/hea...ml?id=prod10030

it is, sodium dichloro-s-triazinetrione dihydrate... which is used at Macca's for all sanitizing needs.
it's claimed as a non rinse which i would be a bit skeptical about :blink:
but my main question is has anyone used a similar product and is it worth me sourcing some more for my sanitizing needs.

any help would be much appreciated.
cheers

This scrolled off the recent topics panel very quickly.

Cannot help you with the right answer.

But, if you can source some for nothing, give it a go and let us know.

Get the correct useage rates, rinse out a fermenter as per instructions, let it drain, then fill up with water, wait 24 hours, then do a taste test and see how the residual affects plain water. This would be a good starting point.

Don't forget, a surface has to be spotlessly clean before you hit it with sanitiser.

Cheers mate,
well i went ahead and used it, but went with atleast 4 washes with boiled water.
there was definately no residing odour... so i'll wait and see.

will report back when ive got results.

That's good Kong, but what would be a good idea is to work out how it affects the final flavour profile of the finished beer when used as a no rinse product.

Washing it out with boiling water negates the no rinse factor.

Often, we want a no rinse action, on parts that cannot take heat, parts we cannot effectively rinse with boiling water and lost of other spots. People use iodine solutions, phosphoric acid, terminator, and peracetic acid. We want a solution that will effectively sanitise, not affect the finished product flavours, not destroy the surface being cleaned.

Boiling water is a good option for rinsing, but not so good for sanitising.

Boil the water for at least 2-10 minutes. Some bugs need autoclaving to kill completely, if you are going to the effort of boiling, just extend the boil time.

As you pour the boiling water onto the rinse surface, it is rapidly cooling, then the water quickly moves away and the surface being rinsed is noweher near boiling temps. So is a good option for rinsing sanitised surfaces, but not so good at actually sanitising.

Homebrewers are always looking for effective cheap no rinse sanitisers. Maybe you have found another one for us.

ouch....
dont know if i could trust trying it on a whole batch...?!?! :eek:
maybe i could conduct a micro experiment using the product first.. in a smaller scale....

hmmmmm

Good idea Kong.

Conduct your own experiment, get two beer glasses, some beer and sanitiser.

Mix up some sanitiser, rinse one glass with it, rinse the other glass with water, allow to drain, fill both with beer, drink.

This may not be a good representation as many sanitisers degrade over a period of time and the flavours may change, for example iodine evaporates, peracetic acid degrades into a byproduct normally found in beer.

Or do the water test on a fermenter, clean out fermenter, rinse with sanitiser, allow to drain, fill with plain water, wait 24 hours and taste the water out of the fermenter. To be really scientific, you need another fermneter exactly the same age, and fill that with water too, and do a side by side taste test of the water after 24 hours. Even better, do a blind taste test, where someone else pours the water where you cannot see them doing it, and lets you taste the contents without you knowing which glass is which.

Back