chinook as a dry/keg hop

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keef_g

Reaction score
Just after anyone's comments on using chinook to dry or keg hop an APA. Was thinking of combining it with centennial or cascade.

I've loved my beers that use Chinook late/dry. If you like punchy/resinous hops then go for it. Mixing it with one of the others is a good idea though. Maybe 1 part Chinook, 2 parts one of the others?

Dry hop is fine. Combines well with both of those other hops.

I try not to dry hop for longer than 3-2 days with anything before packaging.

Never keg hopped. I am also conservative (1g/L) with my dry hopping generally.

I keg hop, but I tie off the bag to the lid so the hops are only in contact with the top part of the keg. As I drink it, the hops stay out of the beer and don't get grassy.

I keep the keg/hops at 20ºC or so for 2 or 3 days, and then chill/carbonate the keg for a week or so. I've never noticed any grassiness or other bad flavours doing that, but I guess it depends on the hops and how sensitive you are.

Takes me back to 2006. An old AHB'er and friend Bindi made an APA late hopped and dry hopped using Chinook. From memory I think he named it Chinook Overload. Some AHB'ers (local brewers) couldn't stand it at 4 weeks in the keg. After about 3 months he presented it again at a local brewers get together and we couldn't get enough of it!

As with all things brewing...................it depends!

Screwy

Tasted awesome in the Rye robust porter from the database. It was kinda playing off the thickness of the Rye malt and all the dark roast malts. Really great beer! I think Phillip designed it.

Chinook is a good dry hop, I would suggest using less than hops like Centennial or more recent ones. I would also ensure that it is fresh, old Chinook is unsuitable for dry hopping.

Takes me back to 2006. An old AHB'er and friend Bindi made an APA late hopped and dry hopped using Chinook. From memory I think he named it Chinook Overload. Some AHB'ers (local brewers) couldn't stand it at 4 weeks in the keg. After about 3 months he presented it again at a local brewers get together and we couldn't get enough of it!

As with all things brewing...................it depends!

Screwy
Hi Brewers "I am back" [and brewing again]. Will start small this time [no 13 kegs, 3 large freezers temp control for brewing, no 3 beers on tap with a frozen font etc etc] , one brew going a small partial mash Stout at 1065. Have the "BUG" again.

Last edited:
Good to see old faces return

Thanks, good to be back, sold all my mash gear:( awhile back, it went to a good home in Gympie [Qld] thanks to "Screwtop", I have not stopped making beer just not full mash, partials and extract only ,BUT as usual everything to excess.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back