Chinese Varieties

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For a CAP I'd go Amarillo

Amarillo in a CAP? What??? That ain't no place for Amarillo my son.

tdh

For a CAP I'd go Amarillo

Amarillo in a CAP? What??? That ain't no place for Amarillo my son.

tdh

OK, Seeing as a CAP (Classic American Pilsener) is intended to be a recreation of the American Pilseners before Prohibition, then what hop would be suitable? What hops did they have pre-1920s and what would the modern equivalents be? I would guess Cluster perhaps?

Not hard to find out. Certainly aint any of them new fangled type hops! Amarillo... seriously.

tdh

Probably something quite bland, first hand UK accounts of American beers of the early 20th Century regarded them as being somewhat lacking in flavour. Perhaps the idea that Pre-Prohibition beers represented some sort of lost Paradise are wishful thinking. Ah them good old days when you could get beered up and whored for five dollars.

Personally I don't like US modern post-1970s craft beers and have no interest in brewing them, but I see Amarillo raved about constantly so suggested it. Obviously wrong. :icon_cheers:

I must say I am not the greatest fan of Saaz a the best of times , but the beer was drinkable i can get into the kegs quickly as I filter so I perhaps have to wait for this to age a little to comment on it s flavour

Pumpy:)

I made a Pilsner using the Chines Saaz hops 38 IBU's 52 gms ( 3.5%AA) 60 min addition
28 gms 20 in addittion
28 gms 10 min addition
28 gms 5 min addition
28 gms flame aout additionn

After 10 days of lagering the beer is mellowing and more drinkable as with all beers you can get use to a beer which is not quite right . after mowing the lawn the other day two schooners were extremely refreshing, but then again so would have been two schooners of cold water .

What I should have done is make exactly the same batch with German Saaz hops to do a side by side taste comparison but that is difficult for me as I dont have two fermentation fridges .

I used a different yeast the Danish Lager yeast 2042 this time .

I am not a great Saaz hop Fan and 38 IBU was quite high IBU for some people in such a simple Pilsner malt only based beer .

So I was relying on the recipe to pull this beer through and good fermentation , I will try again using the German Saaz hops as I am quite happy with the results just unsure if the thingsa that are bugging me are due to the Chinese Saaz.

Pumpy :)

OK, Seeing as a CAP (Classic American Pilsener) is intended to be a recreation of the American Pilseners before Prohibition, then what hop would be suitable? What hops did they have pre-1920s and what would the modern equivalents be? I would guess Cluster perhaps?

I'd point to cluster being native to the US from what im led to believe or any other hop varietal that would have been imported across with Ze Germans. Anything noble would be a go-er for me.

Personally i like the idea of using NZ varietals for the following reason. I would assume early hop gardens in the US of A would be noble varietals and most likly open pollinated which may end up with results similar to NZ hops. noble-esque with citrus notes/unique flavours.

Ive done a CAP with Motueka and it was fantastic, especially after a decent lager period. Inital tastes where light citrus with a background spicy/peppery saaz profile. after 2 months it was nothing but clean delicious saazerness.

I wouldnt mind knocking one out with pacific jade or something like Louisiane brewhouses pilsner hopping schedule. This was an awesome beer and would balance well with the cornyness of a CAP.

Pilsner
IBU 32
OG ?
FG ?
EBC: 16
ABV 5%

Ingredients
84% Pilsner Malt Joe White
16% Munich Joe White
(subbing 15-20% corn in here, probably from the pils malt)
Pacific Jade (60min) (guess 27 IBU)
Motoueka (15mins) (guess 5 IBU)
Motoueka (0 min) (guess .5gram/l final volume)
Wyeast Bohemian Lager Yeast

Mash temp 60 - 78 deg is all i could get out of them for all of the beers, maybe its a step/ramp up mash temp? i'd guesstimate 64-66deg for all of them)
Notes: ferment @ 10, ramp to 14, lager @ 0 deg.

Chlorde:sulphate ratio 2:1

Latest posts

Back