Chinese/taiwanese Rice Wine

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackapple

Reaction score
My mother in law is in town at the mo and impressed with my homebrew ( I know....struck gold!)

She has asked if I can brew some rice wine taiwanese style, which I guess is similar to the chinese ones.

Does anyone have a recipe or a link.

Cheers

Yeah, ask her what the stuff is like though, there are lots of different versions of rice wine, dozens and dozens even just within china and pretty much every country and every region of every country in asia has its own sort of rice wine.

Here is how a guy from singapore is making red rice wine - Much the same without the red rice yeast would work too.
http://unclephilipsg.blogspot.com/2009/07/...a-ang-chow.html

I just make a basic sweet rice wine. Here's how (pictures are links to bigger more detailed photos on photobucket)

Ingredients from your local asian grocer.
*1kg glutinous rice, you can use normal rice if you really insist - but use glutinous rice.
*1 ball chinese yeast - comes in a pack that looks like this

*Some water
*Thats it

*wash the rice a couple of times till the rinse water is a little less milky
*Soak the rice overnight in cold water

*Drain rice thoroughly in a colander, let it drain for a good 30min at least ans shake it to get excess water out.
*Steam the rice for an hour (yes, you can skip the soaking and steaming and just use a rice cooker, it works but the wine wont be as good)

*Allow the rice to cool to body temperature or less
*Put the rice into a non-reactive (glass, stainless, plastic) container in layers about an inch thick - grind up 1 or 2 balls of the yeast in a blender or motar and pestle and sprinkle a light covering on each layer, leaving more than enough for the top.
*Push a hole down the center of the container and sprinkle the yeast over the top and make sure yuo have enough to sprinkle some down the hole

*Cover the container and walk away leaving it at a moderate room temperature.

You will notice there was no added liquid. You dont need to. The chinese yeast contains starch converting enzymes & bacteria as well as yeast. They will work with the moisture in the steamed rice and will start to pull moisture out of the rice and will eventually liquify and reduce the "dry" mixture to a mush, which will then start to ferment. After a day or two you will notice liquid in the hole, you dont really have to, but when it looks like there is a fair bit of liquid, I like to stir it all up and then stir it every day or two to stop a wine fermentation style cap of dry material being forced to the top by the fermentation gasses. The mush should start to look like porridge, then eventually like soup.

BTW - at any time after the liquid starts to come out, you can scoop out a little bowlfull of the stuff and have it as dessert. It is like a syrupy sweet and slightly boozy rice pudding. Delicious. The longer you leave it the boozier it becomes.

After a few weeks it will stop bubbling and settle down, and its pretty much ready to go. You can drink it with the chunks in, or you can put it in a calico bag (i use an old calico enviro shopping bag) and strain it through. It doesn't go through easily and you will hace to squeeze it through and wring out the booze like you were wringing out the washing. If you have a fruit or wine press, you ciuld put th bag in that, but otherwise you wring it through. What comes through will be a milky liquid whichnis lovely to drink as is, or you can let it stand and rack clear wine off the top of the lees.

This should give you something like 1 - 1.5L of very sweet, around 20% abv wine, less if you only want to drink the clear stuff.

Now, you can get more wine by adding water to the start of the process. Up to a point, this wont even reduce the abv% - it will just make the wine less sweet. The fermentation has an excess of sugar and stops only because the yeast stop working at about 20% abv. Thin the sugars out withnadded water and they still take the whole thing up to 20% - just there is more sugar converted and less left over for sweetness. A liter of extra at the start will still give potent booze and less cloying sweetness - two liters will give you maybe a 16(ish)% drink that is still fairly sweet and with a slight hint of bitterness. I like it either with no water or with around a liter.

Keep it in the fridge or it will start to go sour on you.

Its super easy and tastes really good, i usually have trouble not eating half of it as dessert before I manage to turn it all into booze. The mash/mush tastes bloody fantastic with a bit of custard mixed into it.

There are a million variations of rice wine, all different, but this is the one i make and its good.

Yum! That's looks awesome TB. I love rice wine. There's a Korea BBQ in the Gold Coast that has plastic tallies of the stuff for $5 each. Delicious! I had some in Thailand too...at first it tasted like infected beer (no-one could read the label, including the locals) so I had to guess it was rice wine... packed a punch too. :p

Brilliant TB. Id love to have a go. where did you find the yeast balls? Asian grocer?

cheers.

Thank you for posting the method Dan as I did not know if anyone else was playing with the Chinese yeast balls on AHB.

How is the sake going?

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

I get my balls from the Asian grocery shops.

I have to find out where they are in Ballarat or finish unpacking my balls from Canberra.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

Welcome back Brewer Pete! Long time no hear! :icon_cheers:

Great post there TB.

Thanks for the great answer thirsty boy.
Might have a go at that on the weekend.

Thank you for posting the method Dan as I did not know if anyone else was playing with the Chinese yeast balls on AHB.

How is the sake going?

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

Good fun is the chinese rice wine - given the amount of dicking about yu have to do with making Sake, the chinese rice wine is something quick and easy to play with while you wait.

The Sake is going well, really i should have been pressing my latest batch a week ago... But i haven't gotten around to sewing up the filter bags yet and i need my cheese press back from its current loanee (coming on Wed, so this weekend is sake pressing time)

This is my first time with proper sake yeast and a shubo moto - so i am hoping for a cleaner and more subtle sake as a result. I am toying with the idea of sterile filtration instead of pasteurisation too, trying to preserve some of the more fleeting and delicate aromas.

Eggs - Asian grocer for yeast balls. I reckon you'll find them anywhere, but i get mine from Minh Phat on Victoria street Abbotsford. Out in the eastern burbs.. I strongly suspect you'll find a place in Springvale or Box Hill that will have both the glutinous rice and the yeast.

Thanks Guys. Its one of the reasons this thread grabbed me. I loved petes sake thread, but knew straight away that it was too much work for me at the moment. this looks much easyer,k and i use heaps in the cooking too.

Welcome back Brewer Pete! Long time no hear! :icon_cheers:

Cheers mate, I'm slowly getting back into it. Still a million chores at the new property that need doing to get the place in order yet at the same time torn between wanting to just jump in and start brewing again--though still need to get used fridges so temp control is currently out-of-action for anything I brew.

I've now got a whole whack of bulk grains, and all the specs from caramels to crystals to melanoidin, chocs and blacks... for hops I am now back online with EKG, Bramling Cross, and POR. However I got bit with the only LHBS I had access to while driving to Melbourne to pick up the grain having dry yeast sachets only! :( so US05, S04, and S-33 if memory serves me correctly -- I was going for WLP002 or 1968 London Ale ESB or dried Nottingham which also was out of stock.

Maybe I'll whack up one of the Chinese yeast ball rice wines to give me something to do while getting refrigeration and the yeast slants and propagation back up and running again.

Eggs - Don't stress it mate, making Sake (Japanese are more like the Germans of the Asian countries - very process/engineering driven) is like making all grain where you are bombarded with lots of terminology and processes unique but once you put one or two down its all rather easy. Chinese rice wines are like doing a beer kit, easy as and you will get a result, so enjoy them as well especially as a stepping stone into a new area of brewing.

With the techniques I am introducing with the sake posts you are really one step away from growing mushrooms, if perhaps after a foray into growing mould on soya beans to make tempeh and other fermented food products of Asia (I have many Japanese Miso old school techniques and recipes I desperately want to get started, if not for time and all the work on the farm that needs doing until I am settled in,) so a few Shiitake or Oyster Mushrooms might be next on your learning and experimenting adventure!

Thirsty Boy - Mate, you are going to enjoy it. And you are already there to try a hand at mushrooms if you want some instructions. Just more things to play with like humidity level ramping and air exchanges, though most can get by with not bothering and just using a big plastic container from Bunnings and a garden sprayer of water on mist setting.

Still planned are wood fired Rocket Stove, and a wood fired Rocket Stove powered bread oven, or perhaps start smaller with a clay/cob wood fired pizza oven on the farm :)

I have to wait until next swarm season to get the bee hives going again but I am looking forward to a lot more mead on the farm!

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

just put the rice on to soak, very excited to see how this goes!

I have one going at the moment only because I feel incomplete if I an not brewing or fermenting something. I have a bunch of fresh malt in quantity to start brewing beer again but no free time and no fermenting fridges yet as I keep getting sniped on eBay at the last minute and tradingpost so far only brings up fridges if you live in Melbourne itself. -- I really need a Melbourne buddy to keep fridges in Melbourne at until I can drive down with the trailer and pick them all up to get the brewery set up again :p

So old fashioned Chinese Rice Wine it is for now.

I'm currently at the alcoholic rice pudding stage.

If the thread needs comedic input I can always post the warning to always check your bamboo steamers as they come out of your storage boxes for broken bottoms. And Murphy's law with the broken one always ending up being the one at the bottom of your steaming stack and your new pup doing something that requires you to immediately go outside just as the stack of steamers decides to lean and then collapse :)

It's all good though, easy enough to recover.

EDIT: Even the TempMates are all packed up, so its hanging over the refrigerator coils for heating for now. I feel so Gheto :icon_drunk:
Cheers,
Brewer Pete

this is a very similar recipe to the start of a Laos whiskey i saw on Anthony Bourdains no reservations show where they ferment the rice for a couple weeks in easrthenware pots and then distill the mash into LaoLao (spelling) which is a very potent basic style rice whiskey. might be worth a try sometime :icon_drunk:

found the video of it on you tube, starts at the 4:20 mark http://youtu.be/wU6UfGHQedk

Finally made some rice wine and bottled it today after about a months ferment. Tastes good, reasonably sweet with a fair whack of alcohol...
I've kept the leftover mush after squeezing the ring out of it, and I got to wondering if this could be used for cooking or the like?
Hard to imagine someone in a village in china not using and reusing everything!
Must be a recipe out there........

Any ideas?

Cheers

I'm sure there are rice wine specific things, but have a search for "kasu" recipes. Kasu is the lees of a sake fermentation, its used to cure fish, add flavour to soups, as a marinade.. Lots of different stuff. I'm sure there will be some analagous things for rice wine lees.

Wow, this is awesome. I got into Chinese rice wine when I was in Japan. Great drunk on ice. So easy too. I will definately be keeping an eye out for the rice balls. How do you add the extra water?

Wow, this is awesome. I got into Chinese rice wine when I was in Japan. Great drunk on ice. So easy too. I will definately be keeping an eye out for the rice balls. How do you add the extra water?

A lot of the Taiwanese stuff is more like light Soju than Mijiu.

I lived there a while back - nasty stuff!

EDIT: especially when Carrefour supermarkets have 1.75L bottles of Beam for $20.

ive just dumped my first go at this. It just kept fermenting. It was very low on liquid I added about a liter of water after a week because the rice was totaly dry. the ferment kicked of madly afer that and just kept going!
when i tried to strain it, the slurry was so thick i got about a cup of thick mily liquid and the straining bag stayed full. even with a squeeze. I used jasmin rice, so mabe that made a difference. Im curious if the rice needs so much cooking at the start. ill definately give it more water next time round.

Back