Chinese Hops? What Next

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJW

As you must brew, so you must drink
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been talked about alread, as I have not been on the site for a few months.
I got this e-mail today. Has anyone got any info about this stuff.

Good day!

First of all, we would be appreciated for taking your time to read this letter. We (ElimNatural) is a manufacturer for HOPS EXTRACT & HOPS PELLETS in China, we would like to offer our product for your initial reference.

Model
Variety &Type
Technology Index

T-90 Hop pellet
Aroma hop

(SA-1)
Incomplete pellets are less than 4%. Dissolved time is less than 10 seconds.

Humidity content: 7.0%-9.0% α acids: 2.0%-4.0% β-Acids: 2.0%-4.0%

Bitter hop

(Qingdao Dahua)

humidity content: 7.0%-9.0% α-Acids>6.5% β-Acids>3.5%

High-α acid

Bitter hop

(Marco polo)

humidity content: 7.0%-9.0% α-Acids>12% β-Acids>3.0%

Hop oil
Aroma hop

(SA-1)
100% aroma hops essential oil is extracted from the aroma hops variety SA-1, transparent, straw yellow or amber silvery liquid, with full-bodied SA-1 flavor. It is pure and best in quality.

CO2 Hop Extract
Aroma hop

(SA-1)
Using the high technology, this product was extract from the aroma hops variety SA-1, which greatly fulfilled the incense ingredient of the product. It is pure and best in quality, no solvent left. The α-acid content can reach 30%.

Bitter hop
Using the high technology, this product was extract from the bitter hops variety, which greatly fulfilled the incense ingredient of the product. It is pure and best in quality, no solvent left. The α-acid content can reach 30%-40%.

High-α acid

Bitter hop

(Marco polo)
Hop Extraction is used Carbon Dioxide as solvent, which is completely harmless to health with high quality and no solvent residue. We have 30%,40% and 60% α-acid CO2 extracts.

Isomerized Kettle Extract General
Aroma hop

(SA-1)
Using the high technology, this product is extracted from the aroma hops variety SA-1, which greatly fulfilled the incense ingredient of the product. It is pure and best in quality, no solvent left. The Isomerized α -acid content can reach 30%, and PH value is up to 8.5-9.5.

Bitter hop
It is pure and best in quality, no solvent left. The Isomerized α-acid content can reach 30%, and PH value is up to 8.5-9.5.

We are sure to supply of products at the most competitive prices and reliable quality.

Thanks for your attention and waiting for your reply at earliest convenience.
Best regards,
Ms. Carol Wang
Sales Manager
ElimNatural (HK) Ltd. Inc.
Tel:+86-574-27830590
Fax:+86-574-27830589
Web: www.elimnatural.com
Email: [email protected]

I don't have any information on this Company, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see China become one of (if not the main) supplier of hops over the coming years. Bodes well for cheaper prices; let's hope they can breed some interesting varieties for the Craft Brewing sector, rather than just cheap alpha content.

cheers Ross

Hop producing country ↓ Output in tonnes (t) ↓
Germany 34,438
USA 23,494
China 10,576
Czech Republic 7,831
Poland 3,414
Slovenia 2,539
United Kingdom 1,693
Spain 1,537
Ukraine 1,474
France 1,372

(Courtesy Wikipedia)

With many UK farmers ploughing in their hops and being paid by the EU to grow canola instead and with the ridiculous prices now being asked by USA hop producers, not to mention the Hallertau disaster this year the Chinese are poised to become the World's top hop producers within a few years.

Go for it, I'd love to try those 'Marco Polos !' Would put a new spin on AHB Polos :D

BribieG, NZ not on the list?

I am not excited about anything from China. They have no quality control of any kind on the products they produce. Remember the lead problem, tainted feed, and toothpaste. Just what the brewing world needs is China out producing all the other countries and dropping the price to nothing then all we can get are contaminated hops for our beer. Chinese hops will never be used by me even if I have to start brewing mead and cider.

I am not excited about anything from China. They have no quality control of any kind on the products they produce. Remember the lead problem, tainted feed, and toothpaste. Just what the brewing world needs is China out producing all the other countries and dropping the price to nothing then all we can get are contaminated hops for our beer. Chinese hops will never be used by me even if I have to start brewing mead and cider.

I wish New Zealand could be planted end to end with hops and get rid of those pesky sheep :p but as I understand it the Hop growing area in the South Island around Nelson is very limited as far as future expansion is concerned. Maybe some Kiwis could enlighten me on this.

I'd rather pay more for hops from Aus/NZ or Europe. China's got everyone else's jobs they don't need hops as well. IMO anyway.

It's not that they don't have or can't have quality control, it is that quality control is seen as a costly exercise and reducing or removing it allows them to price products much lower than international competitors.

i.e. They will be cheap, and there will be a reason they are cheap.

This would be my concern as well. Personally, I will be sticking to English, Australian, NZ or US hops.

:icon_cheers:
EK

+1

Hence the need for all of us to share our rhizomes and grow as many of our own as possible. I'd hate to see Ross and the other retailers put in the position where all they have is "dubious" Chinese hops, though with NZ growing the varieties they do, I think we are safe.

T-90 hops eh? Sounds like you'd be dropping the Terminator into your brew.

In terms of China growing hops beyond 'Marco Polos' and 'T-90's' :blink: it would come down to their climate conditions and whether they could get their hands on root-stock of other varieties to grow successfully. Would suspect they'd have a hard time replicating any of the unique stuff from NZ so think we'd be safe there.

European noble hops like Hallertau and UK varieties like Goldings would be another matter - their climate would be fine for growing these in some parts. Some US varieties too. Reckon they would pose the biggest threat to Northern Hemisphere growers.

Whether their growing would be able to match the southern conditions of ours (Tas, Vic and Sth WA) I would doubt. I guess in the age of hydroponics and genetic modification though nothing is far-fetched any more though. They certainly have the technology and the people to do it.

Shanghai Saaz anyone?

Hopper.

+1 To that.

I have spent a bit of time in the Chinese back country and also delt with the Chinese mining industry and if they do hops anything like they do most other things they will be crap and you would be taking your own life in your hands by brewing with em.

Steve

I check all food labels and if it says China I put it back. Have seen pics of sewers running down the vegie feilds to fertilise. ICK
Not to mention that they wouldnt hesitate to chuck any sort of chemical on the plants to keep them healthy.

No way

T-90 is either a Russian tank or a way of describing a kind of hop pellet, not a variety of hop vine.

From the HopUnion website:
"T-90 Pellets - a milled and pelletized preparation from whole leaf hops.

T-45 Pellets a similarly milled and pelletized preparation in which a proportion of the vegetative matter has been removed thus concentrating the lupulin."​
In fact, if you read the HopUnion site you'll notice a striking similarity to the language used on the Elimnatural website... I suppose imitation is the sincerest form of flattery? <_<

After seeing what they add to their children's toys (lead), milk (melamine) and who knows what else to every other product they create I'm sticking with reputable suppliers and my own small hop garden.

<_< Pay-er a-er anyone?

sounds like you're all just a bunch of racist f-wits to me.

85% of what we buy now is either Chinese or a large component of it is. Hops? Can't see why it won't happen...try and buy some Aussie garlic at your supermarket.

Batz

85% of what we buy now is either Chinese or a large component of it is. Hops? Can't see why it won't happen...try and buy some Aussie garlic at your supermarket.

Batz

The purple garlic is normally Australian, that is what I prefer to buy more taste but harder to peel. The white garlic is probably Australian garlic but has being sent to China to be bleached.

sounds like you're all just a bunch of racist f-wits to me.
plenty of info about the issues with China's food standards. here, here, and well you can see the google search yourself.

I dont think anyone has concerns about who produces the hops on the proviso that they do so safely and adhere to basic standards of food safety, afterall we consume the oils from hops and dont want to end up with lead poisoning or something else. that goes for any country.

The purple garlic is normally Australian, that is what I prefer to buy more taste but harder to peel. The white garlic is probably Australian garlic but has being sent to China to be bleached.

I buy Australian garlic up here quite easily.
Chinese garlic in grown in China with human effluent, it is then irradiated and bleached. It won't grow so I believe it no good for you at all.

Batz

Back