Chimay Blue

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zymurgy

Reaction score
i recently tried a chimay beer made by the trappiste monks in belgium... it rocked!

and i would also recommend the rochefort 10 @11.3%/vol if your planning to:

-not have the power of speech at the end of the night
-end up face down on the front lawn at the end of the night with your golf bag still on your shoulder & 3 inches of frost on the back of your head.
-have to dig your fingers into the lawn so you dont fall over any farther

i would be interested to know whether anyone has tried to brew a chimay red, blue or rochefort 10 and if they had any luck cloning this awesome beer...

Havent tried to brew them, but I've drunk a few of all of them? :D

I didnt find the Rochefort had that effect on me, I've usually only had one at a time though. I must admit the ABV is very well masked.

If you enjoyed Chimay Bleu, try Gouden Carolus, another tasty Belgian Strong Ale.

Also, if you enjoyed Chimay White, try Tripel Karmeliet. Another tasty Abbey Tripel.

mmmm belgian beer :chug:

I also enjoy the odd Chimay Blue. I can recommend Gulden Draak as well.

I plan to brew a few of this style right after I put on a quick Weizen. I have a vial of WLP500 Trappist Ale yeast waiting in the fridge. And a bottle yeast culture of Chimay Blue itself for bottling yeast.

Ingredients would include (but not be limited to):

Pale Malt
Dark Candy sugar
CaraAroma
Various spices and herbs. (Those sly monks!)

I'm guessing on the hops. I'll be using some Tettnanger and Hallertau for flavour and Northern Brewer for bittering.
Will post recipes if I find a good one!

Actually had a few belgian's last night. Love the Tripel Karmeliet.

Had a go at brewing a dubbel, with a tripel on at the moment.

I've found it hard to find the right grains though, like SpecialB or CaraAroma. Used some dark crystal and some munich instead for the dubbel, along with the White Labs Trappist Ale yeast, so not really sure how true to style it will be.

On tasting at bottling, it wasn't too bad. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Does anyone know where to get these grains, or what a good substitute is?

Thanks.

I picked up a 500g baggy of CaraAroma from ESB. I don't see it on their site tho. Try emailing Mel and see if he has more.

What hops are you using, Wreck?

I got Cara aroma no problems from my local brewshop and brewed a raspberry dubbel. It is great beer and fairly true to style, but doesn't have that distinctive plummy/ raisiny flavour that great Belgian strong ales have, which comes from the Special B.

Here's the recipe (for 23 L):
1kg German Pilsener malt
2kg pale liquid malt extract
1kg pale dry malt extract
250g medium crystal malt (60L)
250g Cara Munich
250g Cara Aroma (dark crystal - 350 EBC)
55g Saaz pellets 60 mins
15g Fuggles pellets 2 mins
1 Jar raspberry puree (310g) in secondary
2 tsp Irish Moss
1.5L starter of Wyeast Trappist High Gravity liquid yeast
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1 cup dextrose for bulk priming

Mash grains @ 66C for 90 mins. Standard boil and rack to secondary. It's got a lovely balance of fruit and spice with a slight raspberry tartness and flavour. Gorgeous deep red colour with a creamy white head that laces well. Great dessert beer...or dinner beer....or breakfast beer...
Alcohol: approx 6.5%(not sure on the fermentability of the raspberries)

Zymurgy, if you want to try a nice Belgian beer that is a good session ale (5% alcohol), give the De Koninck Antoon Blonde a go. A very nice drop indeed!

- Snow.

I used Hallertau & Saaz.

I'm going through a bit of an experimental stage at the moment, only just starting to play with different hops, so not really sure which ones do what. The dubbel was my first go at a partial mash. Probably a bit ambitious, but it's going ok so far.

I think it may be. Though, I always thought dark crystal was around the 200-250 EBC rating, whereas the cara aroma I got was 350 EBC. I could be wrong, though....

What about CaraMunich vs Munich. The brew shop I went to only had Munich, but said it wouldn't be that different.

Also, what's the Wyeast Trappist like? I used the White Labs Trappist, which I realise now has low flocculation. But from reading descriptions for Dubbels and Tripels at the BJCP style guide, clarity should be good.

My Tripel is still pretty cloudy after a week in secondary.

Thanks,
Wreck.

CaraMunich is a steepable crystal and doesn't need mashing... Munich is less refined and need to be mashed.

Your brew shop guys telling porkies!!

Apart from needing to mash Munich, will the flavour be much different?

Davep,

You from Heathcote as in Victoria?

Rook from Tallarook

thanks snow. i might give the recipe a go too if im feeling brave one day...

Go on, mate - it's easier than it looks!

Wreck, I found the Wyeast Trappist High Grav a very good performer. Ferments well and seems to flocculate ok. Having said that, no commercial trippel I've ever had has been crystal clear anyway. I wouldn't worry about it too much - I always mix in the yeast with my Belgian brews and the Wyeast tastes great.

- Snow.

Thanks Snow.

Pretty happy with the White Labs, tastes good, just not as clear as I thought it would be. I'll see how it goes after a bit longer in secondary.

Got another three in the fridge propagated from the original, so plenty more experimenting to do.

i'll give this baby a go.
if you have any more high gravity belgian ideas snow let us know.
might aswell put a few down while the yeast is going.

More belgian brews for people to try:

Abbaye Des Rocs!! Brilliant belgian strong ale. Very tasty stuff.

Try the Abbaye Des Rocs Speciale Noel too. Also quite nice, very fruity almost white wine aroma with hints of orange.

Back