"chimay" Blue Lable Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJW

As you must brew, so you must drink
Reaction score
Just a quick one,
I am going to do the Chimay or Duval AG from the "BREW CLASSIC EUROPEAN BEERS AT HOME" book, and i want to use the yeast from a bottle. Firstly is the yeast from one small bottle enough? And if make up a little wort say about 1040 with some LME, i was told that if i stick in a cap full of "Sanitise" after the wort has cooled and left overnight that the chemical reaction would help oxygenate the wort. Then warm up to 27 deg C and tip in the dregs from the Chimay. Does this sound right?
Also should i do it a couple of times to build it up or is once enough?
Also was told that it could take up to a week before i see any action from the yeast.

Would love to hear some thoughts from all u fellas who have done this before.

Stephen

I tried reculturing from a single Coopers Vintage bottle without a great deal of success. I started with a small stubbie sized starter and it took just over a week to get any signs of action and I didn't like the look/smell/taste of it. I decided to use three bottles to get more yeast. I still did a stubbie starter then stepped up to a litre once it was under way. That seemed to work ok but again I didn't like the look/smell/taste so I never ended up using it

Have you considered trying one of the Wyeast or White Labs yeasts as the world accoprding to Google says that they are the source yeasts anyway.

Duvel - either Wy1388 or WLP 570
Chimay - either Wy1214 or WLP500

Maybe someone has used these before and could comment?

Stephen, I have successfully cultured up and used yeast from a small bottle of Duvel in a Duvel type clone. I made a small starter to start with and built it up over a period of 2 weeks to get a 2 litre starter. That all managed to ferment out a brew that was an OG of 1076 IIRC.
The recipe was from here which was recommended by bradmc:
http://hbd.org/trub/articles/

If you use BeerSmith I will send you my recipe.

Good luck with you beer.

C&B
TDA

I've cultured Chimay blue yeast before, and it works well. I just added the dregs to some cooled boiled 1.040 wort, then let it do its thing for a couple of days. Stepped up with some more 1.040 wort, about 1.5 L starter. Lag time was about 24 hours, so I may have slightly underpitched, but it fermented out well, and the result is very nice. :)

The Chimay Blue seems to be an easy one to get going.
I've tried 1388 but it didn't come out "dry" enough for my liking but this could be because I've heard Duvel has a complex fermentation regime with a lot of temp variation.
The beer made with Wy1214 turned out quite phenolic at 20C, a bit of acetone in there but hopefully time will settle the flavours down.
I don't think any high gravity beers would be ready in less than a couple of months of bottling.....What do others think

I would definitely bulk age a strong beer for some months!

Jovial Monk

Rubes said:
Have you considered trying one of the Wyeast or White Labs yeasts as the world accoprding to Google says that they are the source yeasts anyway.

Duvel - either Wy1388 or WLP 570
I'm sure I read somewhere that Duvel uses 2 different yeasts (a seperate one for bottling).

Latest posts

Back