Chilling wort in swimming pool

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aussie Mick

Reaction score
Apologies if this has been covered before. I did a quick search and only found chilling cubes in pools.

I just put on a BIAB 20 litre batch. Up until now I have chilled in the laundry trough with many changes of water and a ton of ice. Today I carried it up to the pool and placed it on the tops step with a wooden cutting board underneath to protect the fibreglass.

Well, it was chilled in less than an hour to a fermentable temperature. Very happy, hope it helps somebody. IMG_0245.JPGIMG_0246.JPG

Good as a quick chill option. Otherwise cubeing to me is like canning preservation to set aside for up to months and in that case you want to fill the container as hot as possible, seal it and leave hot for as long as possible for longer time storage before fermenting.
Edited: ah shit I didn't see the pic!

Yeah, I use the pool too.

I no chill in a 23 litre corny, then ferment in the same vessel. Works for me. I haven't tried it, but you could probably use it as the serving vesel if you were lazy. I have the dip tube cut off leaving 2 litres in the bottom of the corny.

If I don't cool it in the pool I turn the corny upside down and store it that way until I am ready to use it. Never had a problem with that method.

See you, Anthony

I haven't got round to trying a Cube yet, but it sounds like a great option.

Anthony, that sounds like a great way of doing things, one that I would never have even thought of. I have a couple of spare kegs, so I will give it a go.

When we were kids we'd put drinks into the mountain streams where we lived for an ice cold beverage (snow melt water). Very effective.

Aussie Mick said:
I haven't got round to trying a Cube yet, but it sounds like a great option.

Anthony, that sounds like a great way of doing things, one that I would never have even thought of. I have a couple of spare kegs, so I will give it a go.
Yeah, dont mess around with a cube mate. I was always too worried about putting boiling liquid into plastic. Perhaps irrational, but would rather have it in stainless........ Not looking for a fight guys, just airing my OCD laundry.

Adding boiling liquid in any old plastic, no.

High-Density Polyethylene is fine.

Who uses a pump to chill into a chiller with their pool & what type of pump do you use

rude said:
Who uses a pump to chill into a chiller with their pool & what type of pump do you use
I do, running the water through a counter-flow chiller. Draw water from the bottom of the pool and return it to the top. You need to source a reasonably high flow rate submersible pump (I think they're called basement pumps in the USA).

They are an extremely efficient and environmentally friendly way to chill wort being you don't waste any water and minimal power to do the job

or just brew when you need to top up the pool
use tapwater / garden hose to chill dump into the pool and then swim in the heated pool :)

i have a 2000l tank i use to chill
just circulate back to the tank using a pump

Great responses thanks got the pool but no pump yet will look into it

My boss calls me the mirror probably true but Ill get there

Hey Maheel what pump do you use

Heated pool nice

I'm just about to get into brewing and, coincidentally, I have a pool (and in Tassie at the moment it's damn cold). So, I was originally thinking of using a Crown 40L urn and then no-chill with ~28L cubes - could I still cube but do a rapid cool in the pool, then transfer to fermenter after (guessing, 1-2 hours), would this have any negative effects??

If using a submersion chiller I really like the idea of recirculating the pool water, one of the reasons I was going to do no-chill was because I really didn't want to waste water, that could be another option...

Schikitar said:
I'm just about to get into brewing and, coincidentally, I have a pool (and in Tassie at the moment it's damn cold). So, I was originally thinking of using a Crown 40L urn and then no-chill with ~28L cubes - could I still cube but do a rapid cool in the pool, then transfer to fermenter after (guessing, 1-2 hours), would this have any negative effects??

If using a submersion chiller I really like the idea of recirculating the pool water, one of the reasons I was going to do no-chill was because I really didn't want to waste water, that could be another option...
You could definitely cube the wort hot then stick the cube in the pool to help cool it quickly. I don't think it would be anywhere near as quick as using an immersion chiller though.

I wouldn't bother though unless you wanted it cool for some reason that day.

There is another big advantage of no-chill, you can brew and pitch on different days. This means you can brew when convenient and then store the wort until your fermenter is ready. If you only have one fermenter you need to package (if you want the fermenter always full), clean, brew, chill, pitch all in one day which can be a marathon effort.

That pool needs a vacuum, coulda done that while your brew was chilling.

Sound like my wife.

QldKev said:
i converted it from no-chill to slow-chill
I've read a few recommendations for this method and will give an overnight cool down a go sometime. Cubes allow the flexibility of something ready to put in the fermenter for a quick or unplanned change over.

Not sure if I was just unlucky but one of the very few times I have had an infection (and the only time I have had an infection in the cube) was when I immersed it in the pool. I think the problem was immersing it completely such that the cap was also underwater, such that the pool water could seep under the cap and dry there. OP would not have had this problem as they rested the cube on the step with the cap high and dry.

One to watch out for...

Latest posts

Back