Chilling vs No Chill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you chill or no chill after boiling

• Chill

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No Chill

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

jaypes

It is, a nice!
Reaction score
Just doing some research into who does what

good to see the results if you get numerous hits. i imagine no chill would be most popular.

I no chill my beer, but I always chill out after brewing sm_dance.gif

just noticed the delete my vote option... whats that all about... peer group pressure?

no chill cuz im cheap and it allows me to hold off fermentation if i have to.

No chill is heaps more convenient for me. Brew & rack em up until I'm ready to ferment. High Summer temps also make it hard to chill without an ice slurry in an esky to get the wort below ambient temps. 30+deg temps are quite common.

I chill, firstly because it means I can pitch sooner and therefore to to the end and enjoy my beer sooner.

Secondly becuz my brewery looks that little bit more awesome with a shiny plate chiller in view. My neighbours must look in the garage when its open and think I have a meth lab.

Truman said:
I chill, firstly because it means I can pitch sooner and therefore to to the end and enjoy my beer sooner. Secondly becuz my brewery looks that little bit more awesome with a shiny plate chiller in view. My neighbours must look in the garage when its open and think I have a meth lab.
:icon_offtopic: all my neighbors thought I was making Bundy Rum when they first saw me and my 3V in the carport :blink: . I've had to disappoint all of them.

Crusty said:
No chill is heaps more convenient for me. Brew & rack em up until I'm ready to ferment. High Summer temps also make it hard to chill without an ice slurry in an esky to get the wort below ambient temps. 30+deg temps are quite common.
What he said...

Truman said:
My neighbours must look in the garage when its open and think I have a meth lab.
:icon_offtopic:

That's funny. I used to brew on a balcony on a busy street and someone thought I was up to no good so they called the coppers on me. Coppers turned up, saw there was nothing suspicious going on and then proceeded to chat for about 1/2 hour about the process as one of them was just getting into brewing.

To the OP: I'm a no chiller as it is most convenient for me. I also find it hard to justify the water wasted when chilling as I don't have a tank to recycle the chilling water. That may change though, as I've just bought a new place with the perfect spot for a permanent brewery with space for a tank :kooi:

JDW81 said:
Coppers turned up, saw there was nothing suspicious going on and then proceeded to chat for about 1/2 hour about the process as one of them was just getting into brewing.
Haha, if you were in Brisbane I'd say I know who that copper is...

oh I love my meth lab on the balcony... with my red dexter gloves on, I think at bunnings today I will buy a respirator just to see if someone calls the cops on me as well. Damn that would be a great story!

Florian said:
Haha, if you were in Brisbane I'd say I know who that copper is...

And he would have taken all equipment and ingredients as evidence.

And put them to good use.

donburke said:
you need an option for someone who uses both methods
Perhaps we could see this as "which method do you prefer to use" poll.
I cant afford to buy a chiller and im too busy (lazy) to make one so......... :D

Byran said:
Perhaps we could see this as "which method do you prefer to use" poll.
I cant afford to buy a chiller and im too busy (lazy) to make one so......... :D
I've got one, and I'm too lazy to use it :lol:

Na, I just like saving time (and water), and separating brew day from my fermenting regime. It means I can brew bulk cubes and ferment random different ones keeping a differing supply of beer on tap.

I chill, mainly because of an abundant supply of cold water here. I just fill up a large container of water and ice and dump the fermenter in.

If I had a tap in my SS pot, I would probably give no chill a shot, just too lazy to put one in at the moment. Sure I'll try it one day, but at the moment it's just easier for me (with help from my wife) to dump the cooled contents of the pot straight into the fermenter.

i use no chil because it is convenient and the only way to make my current brewing situation work for me.

I no chilled about 3 brews ago- Terribly hung over on the Sunday so the brew day got pushed back a couple hours...

I don't have a tap on my kettle so I just cleaned up a small saucepan and chucked it in the boiling wort for the last 15 mins of the boil, fished it out at flameout and after letting the wort rest for ten mins, started scooping and pouring into the waiting funnel and jerry can. ~20L scooped into jerry in about 5 mins.

Pitched my starter the next day. Too easy! Just wondering though if this is an ok way to transfer the wort sans kettle tap? I got no infection but don't know if I'm running the gauntlet so to speak. :unsure:

Back