Chilling The Wort

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corey23

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just wondering what process people go through to chill their wort after a boil if you don't have a chiller? Also, what is the max lenght of time (covered) you let the wort sit before pitching the yeast?

Cheers.
Corey

If you 'no chill' sometimes you can leave the beer in the 'cube' for months (years) before pitching yeast.
However (other than 'no chill'), in general it's best to pitch the yeast as soon as possible, so that you minimise any chance of infection.

Immersing the fermentor in ice/cold water in the bath or laundry sink is something that should help if you dont have a wort chiller.

If you 'no chill' sometimes you can leave the beer in the 'cube' for months (years) before pitching yeast.
However (other than 'no chill'), in general it's best to pitch the yeast as soon as possible, so that you minimise any chance of infection.

Immersing the fermentor in ice/cold water in the bath or laundry sink is something that should help if you dont have a wort chiller.

No worries Wolfy. Is adding cooled water from the fridge a good way to get the temperature down a bit quicker also?

Cheers.
Corey

Or boiling water the day before, and making ice cubes. Then on the day just dump the ice into fermenter.

Or boiling water the day before, and making ice cubes. Then on the day just dump the ice into fermenter.

Is it best to sterilize the ice tray first or will the boiled water be ok on its own?
Cheers.
Corey

I sterilise the trays first, but maybe that is over the top couldn't say for sure.

Better to be safe than sorry. It only takes one little nasty to ruin a whole brew.

Cheers.
Corey

Hi All,

Just wondering what process people go through to chill their wort after a boil if you don't have a chiller? Also, what is the max lenght of time (covered) you let the wort sit before pitching the yeast?

Cheers.
Corey

one practice is to put the actual pot in a water bath in the sink, changing the water a few times, and then throwing some ice or frozen water bottles in the water on the 3rd change

i have taken anything up to 2 hours to chill my wort (with the lid on) so do not rush it, and dont stress, as long as the lid is on nothing will happen to it

if you rush it and pitch whilst the wort is too hot, thats when you'll root it

Corey you are posting in the kits and extracts. What sort of wort are you talking about, kits, extract, partial mash or full mash?

Corey you are posting in the kits and extracts. What sort of wort are you talking about, kits, extract, partial mash or full mash?

I thought posting in kits and extracts would mean that I was talking about these kind of brews??
I did my first partial extract brew on the weekend and found it took a while to get the temperature down so, I was after some ideas of what other people do.
Cheers.
Corey

Does a K&K brewer need to be concerned with oxidising the wort?

ie when adding cold water to cool the wort, should it be added slowly or only after the wort has been immersion chilled to below a certain temp?

Generally i sit the boiler in the kitchen sink, put a few ice packs around it and fill the sink. Stir and drain/refill every few mins till the bottom of the boiler is cool enough to place a hand under. Then the cold water goes in the FV and the wort poured onto that with some intentional splashing for aeration.

before i brew, i wander up the shops or down to the servo, and buy a bag of ice.

dump the ice in the fermenter, pour my pot straight on top, fill up with cool tap water, or chilled water if in summer, and presto, usually around 15-18 degrees so perfect for pitching my ale yeasts....

oh btw, i brew at random times when my son's asleep.. get some strange looks in middle of winter when it's pouring with rain 9 oclock on a tuesday evening, buying a bag of ice!

before i brew, i wander up the shops or down to the servo, and buy a bag of ice.

dump the ice in the fermenter, pour my pot straight on top, fill up with cool tap water, or chilled water if in summer, and presto, usually around 15-18 degrees so perfect for pitching my ale yeasts....

oh btw, i brew at random times when my son's asleep.. get some strange looks in middle of winter when it's pouring with rain 9 oclock on a tuesday evening, buying a bag of ice!

You ever have any problems with that ice causing infections or any off tastes?

I use ice but I boil it first to kill anything in it.

You ever have any problems with that ice causing infections or any off tastes?

no issues at all. i figure it's meant to be food grade ice... and i just use tap water for the rest of the fill... couldn't be much difference between the two (in my head)

Latest posts

Back