Chilling Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerGirl

Reaction score
Hi, my kegs have been kicked out of the fridge. I need cold beer but don't want to use ice everyday. What are my options? The cheaper the better obviously.

You could expand gas naturally and cause slow cooling. Really slow cooling. Albeit the amount of chilli you'd need to accomplish effective cooling might negate any cost saving.

buy a cheap fridge or chest freezer and convert them into a keg fridge or keezer with temp control. You can pick up fridges and things cheap off ebay or gumtree but you will have to determine how many kegs you want to store. This is why people use chest freezers with a collar ontop as you can fit more kegs then a fridge. Also its better insulated and with a temp control the beer is at a more stable temp.

Five years of lurking, first post today - welcome into the light :p

Whereabouts are you? For the princely sum of around $500 you can get one of these from a sponsor here. Sure that's a few clams, but walk into The Good Guys or Retravision with five hundred and they'll laugh at you. When I was setting up, even a grand wouldn't buy a fridge that would hold 3 kegs.

Of course the other way to go is a second hand fridge from a trusted source. (I'd never buy one, you are usually buying someone else's problems)

The kegerator holds three cornies nicely and you don't need a font tap set right away, bronco taps are perfectly good.

Buy a secondhand fridge off E-Bay, you can generally pick one up in reasonable nick for around 100 bucks.

Does anyone read the thread title and op?

Yes, anus.

Btw, brand spanking new F&P 215L freezer fits 4 kegs on floor without collar, costs ~240, or so it should. Much better and lighter to lift and lug than the 2nd hand stuff that'd set one back by at least half as much. Guns/picnic taps inside the freezer work great.

Has anyone tried using the magic box 'technology' within the freezer. I am imagining the coil encased in a permanent block of ice, say a milk carton, that I can take out and hook up each time I want a beer. What kind of length would I be after for the coil?

Does anyone read the thread title and op?

Yes, anus.

Btw, brand spanking new F&P 215L freezer fits 4 kegs on floor without collar, costs ~240, or so it should. Much better and lighter to lift and lug than the 2nd hand stuff that'd set one back by at least half as much. Guns/picnic taps inside the freezer work great.
Where do you find a 200l chesty new for less than 350??

(Although maybe I don't want to know given I just bought one today)

I suppose moving to Tas is out of the question?

Retravision did that price about half a year ago... With all the eofys atm...

Is bottling it off out of the question? It could help short term at least.
Daz

Where do you find a 200l chesty new for less than 350??

(Although maybe I don't want to know given I just bought one today)

What brand did u end up getting Samward? Looking for a keezer replacement and best I can find is Eurotag 200 odd litre for $350. 2 year warranty. Sorry for off-topic.

I'd start by telling the other party to find somewhere else to put there stupid food.

And then negotiate to somewhere in the middle you can both live with. Even if you only have one beer on tap at a time at least you still have beer.

If it's someone who shares finances with you, start buying beer instead of making it, they will soon notice the cost difference.

Other than that the best suggestion seems to be go back to bottling while you save for a dedicated keg fridge.

Back