Chilling batch without wort chiller + grain to water ratio.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oscarman

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So i'm about to do my first all grain 20 litre BIAB tomorrow with about 5.5kg of grain in my 32 litre pot, and i just remembered that i don't have a wort chiller. I'm going to be doing an ice bath, but i'm not sure whether this is a good idea, will it cause off flavours because of the extra time it will take to chill? Also, how will i go with 20 litres and 5.5kg of grain in a 32 litre pot?

Beers!

Do you have a tap on pot? If so just no chill it. Going to take a shit load of ice for an ice bath

If the 32 L pot fits in the laundry sink then just fill it up with cold water and dump the pot in there after the boil has finished.
Stir the water every now and then to stop stratification. When it gets warm, dump the water and repeat.
Dump your ice in when the cool water isn't doing the job any more.

If it's anywhere between 20 and 23L into the fermenter, consider popping out to Bunnings or other outlet and getting a couple of 10L water container "cubes" and do a no-chill overnight. The Bunnings ones that I use hold around 10.5L and are brilliant for the purpose.

Do you need to chill? I have found no chill a much easier and quicker solution than trying to chill 20+ litres of boiling wort.

edit: Beaten by Bribie G :)

lukiferj said:
Do you need to chill? I have found no chill a much easier and quicker solution than trying to chill 20+ litres of boiling wort.

edit: Beaten by Bribie G :)
agreed!!
I've recently converted to no chill... life is so much easier now.
ice or water bathing is a pain in the arse and will take up the second half of your brew day.
drain your hot wort into a 20L cube, squeeze the air out, seal it up, allow to chill overnight, the next day pour it into your fermenter and pitch yeast... happy days.

and so far it has been turning out brilliant beer.

I say no chill as well.

Only thing to consider is if you are using large amounts of late hops you may need to adjust your bittering

Latest posts

Back