Chilling A Font- Liquid?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gout

Bentleigh Brau Haus
Reaction score
What is the best method to chill the font? I have cold water, but now that its all working i want to chill it in the freezer, and only thought i have is car radiator additive to stop it turning to ice... any other food safe methods

Would hate it to get into my beer, as i have the Tap font full of liquid (not a coil like the real deal)

help? idea's?

Hi Gout,
Iam with john, proberly the only real thing you can do is go with a liquid that freezes at a much lower temp and a good freezer would help to, i know mine works too good and freezes my brined pillies rock solid.......even having a fridgey in the family doesn't guaratee great refridgeration.
Anyway try brine for a start and work out what liquid works best for your freezer.

Jayse

would that react with the inside of the taps?

i guess the car rad. liquid is good with metals etc as in a engine, i just dont want to drink the shit in my beer if anything went wrong

its a damn fine improvement on drinking refridgeration fluid in your beer! :excl:

Seriuosly I wouldn't be concerned at all with the beer lines integrity.
Even if there was a fault iam sure you would pick it well before you were serving brine intstead of beer. :ph34r:

EDIT.. as far as the integrity of the inside of the taps with brine i have no idea. :excl:

Jayse

good to see your back jayse. where have you been?

Just an update the Salt/water test did not work. It stopped it turning to rock hard ice, but it did still turn to a thick slurry and the pump could not pump it as a liquid.

After the drama's with leaks i am now (tonight) going to put in some radiator fluid. at 50% it was something like -30% and 70% it was even lower (dont quote that temp as its not infront of me)

another note is that with the few tests with the salt solution, it left lots of crap inside the font, and even scale and crap in the bottom of the water bucket i was using. So i think it was causing issues inside the taps.. hence the rad. fluid should be much better

Hi Gout,
Nice to see your getting somewhere, hope the rad fluid works out.

Jayse

Propylene glycol is a food safe antifreeze liquid...
Springing a leak and getting radiator fluid in your beer would scare me!
May not nitice it in a stout till its too late.... :party:

Asher for now

Asher where do i get that? any idea's
and will it stay liquid down to the temps i am thinking about (inside a freezer)

cheers

Another option is using alcohol. Rubbing alcohol (Isopropanol is quite popular). A mixture of 40% alcohol and 60% water will give you a freezing point of -20C, and a 50/50 mix will give -30C, which should be ample for all but the beefiest chillers.

I think the alcohol will be nicer to seals than glycol as well.

Latest posts

Back