Chilling a 5L extract boil

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fro-Daddy

Reaction score
I've done a bit of a search and read various opinions on chilling. Most of what I've read is:
Cool as fast as possible
Put a lid on to avoid infection (ice bath)
Don't aerate

My question is, say i use the laundry tub as my ice bath, can i just add a few litres of water directly to the wort to cool it? I mean, a few minutes later it's going to get that water in the fermenter anyway, but is it running a higher risk of infection when it's warm?
Also, I've read aerating the wort is essential, is this only when it is in the fermenter at the lower temp?

Cheers!

I normally boil and then add cold water to 82 degrees to whirlpool. Then add this to the fermenter. I then add all the required water to top up, I infuse refrigerator cooled water in summer and generally straight out of the tap in winter.

Extract brew you dont need oxygenation as you would with allgrain.

Extract brew you dont need oxygenation as you would with allgrain.[/QUOTE]

? I've heard arguments for and against oxygenation when using dry yeast, but what difference do you think it makes if you make your own wort, as opposed to someone else making it and concentrating it more?

I have in the past just dumped cool water out of the tap and it splashed and mixed all the ingredients together , I am sure that oxygen has made its way in but have not added any additions, via pump or O2 bottle.

I have in the past just dumped cool water out of the tap and it splashed and mixed all the ingredients together , I am sure that oxygen has made its way in but have not added any additions, via pump or O2 bottle.
I do similar with my AG brews. Just let the chilled wort pour from the boiler tap into the FV, but for optimal results oxygenation would still be the go, whether it be kit, extract or AG.

I did a full batch 23 ltr AG brew yesterday and I it was pumped from the boil kettle straight into the fermenter. It foamed up very well @ 19 degrees. It looks like a lava lamp today , 75 mm Krauzen on third batch US-05 yeast. Very happy.

I will look into O2 for AG brewing..

Back