Chilli! All Things Chillies.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More Sauce - Mexican this time.

View attachment 38022

Big handful of Santa Fe chillies seeda and all.
1 tin tomato pure.
Large onion.
Few cloves garlic.
Cumin seeds
Smoked Paprika
Xanthan gum

Scorch onion and garlic in a dry pan (you want hem slightly black round the edges).
Add some oil. Chuck in the chopped chillies and cumin seeds. Fry for a minute or 2.
Add the tomato puree and the smoked paprika (no heat from that but gives it that fantastic smokey flavour).
Salt to taste.
Bring to a boil and let cook for 5 mins or so.
Throw in the blender and whizz up with a little gum to thicken.

Medium heat sauce with a fantastic flavour.

Next on the list - thai chilli sauce with lime and fish sauce.

Cheers
Dave

Edit - spelling

you are one busy man!

Hey Cube,

I have never made 'flakes' from frozen chillies. HOWEVER, I make chilli powder all the time from frozen chillies. Basically its the same process as flakes, I just grind them all the way to powder in a spice/coffee grinder type thing. (ps...I only use my grinder for chillies, I have another one for coffee :) ) lets hope I dont get the two confused one day.

hope that helps

rendo

Question on chillis from the freezer lads. I have a couple of ounce bags in the freezer of Hot Thai and want to dry them and make flakes for sprinkling on whatever. If I use a dehydrator on the defrosted chillis and dry them out totally will I get flakes or mush because defrosted chilli is not crunchy as we know.

Short from cracking out the dehydrator and drying a couple of pods ( and wasting all that energy ) any thoughts?

My Devils Tongues, Jolokias are still flowering and setting fruit like crazy :beerbang:

Hey Cube,

I have never made 'flakes' from frozen chillies. HOWEVER, I make chilli powder all the time from frozen chillies. Basically its the same process as flakes, I just grind them all the way to powder in a spice/coffee grinder type thing. (ps...I only use my grinder for chillies, I have another one for coffee :) ) lets hope I dont get the two confused one day.

hope that helps

rendo

how and when do you dry the chillies or powder. Grinding a frozen chilli in a grinder would turn it to mush

Cheers rendo. I will be drying them in a dehydrator Steve to crispy dry. I've made plenty of powder by drying them in my machine and using my magic bullet to powder them but they were fresh not frozen going into the drying machine I was thinking it 'may' make a difference but apparently not. I use a mortar and pestal to lightly smash them up to flakes. Great in home made breads and pizza bases mmmmmm

Cheers rendo. I will be drying them in a dehydrator Steve to crispy dry. I've made plenty of powder by drying them in my machine and using my magic bullet to powder them but they were fresh not frozen going into the drying machine I was thinking it 'may' make a difference but apparently not. I use a mortar and pestal to lightly smash them up to flakes. Great in home made breads and pizza bases mmmmmm

I had loads of those green chillies you get from woolies last year after growing from seeds. I let them all mature until they were red and dried on the window sill. Ground them up and they turned into nice flakes in the oven on low for a while....still got a few little jars full.

how and when do you dry the chillies or powder. Grinding a frozen chilli in a grinder would turn it to mush

Guys, I will try to get the time to write up my method of making powder here. In summary its really simple

1. Get chillies (from freezer, tree, market, etc)
2. cut them up into rough sized bits, i use a light hit with a blender to do this, or scissors do the trick
3. dry them as best u can. I usually lay them out flat in the sun (in summer) Or in winter I put them on trays then in the oven...mine goes down to 50degC. You may need to stir around the chillies to help drying.
4. make sure they are really dry
5. powder them up in a grinder (i use a spice/coffee grinder....but its "my chilli grinder" never to be used for anything else, esp coffee)
6. I then pop the powder back into the oven (regardless of sun dried or oven dried in step 3) on big pizza trays, as flat as i can get it to dry even further. CAREFUL here cause its easy to burn....dont want to waste all that effort and chilli...

Once done, i put into jars and its done. I sometimes put the little sachets of dessicant in the jar too....sometimes.

rendo

(i think I just wrote my method up....)

i am sure u'll be happy with it, just dry the chillies up nicely....i like to cut them up a bit first, then dry....once crispy, then grind away. as mentioned above, once powdered I like to give it a further drying to be sure :) (done it a truck load of times...no complaints)

rendo

Question on chillis from the freezer lads. I have a couple of ounce bags in the freezer of Hot Thai and want to dry them and make flakes for sprinkling on whatever. If I use a dehydrator on the defrosted chillis and dry them out totally will I get flakes or mush because defrosted chilli is not crunchy as we know.

Short from cracking out the dehydrator and drying a couple of pods ( and wasting all that energy ) any thoughts?

My Devils Tongues, Jolokias are still flowering and setting fruit like crazy :beerbang:

defrosting frozen chillies makes them go all soggy cause the cell walls have been split by the liquid in them expanding when frozen. As they defrost all the liquid runs out and leaves the chilli a flacid sloppy mess but no different in the grand scheme of things if you want to cook with it or dry it.

Just chuck em in the dehydrator and dry them as normal. They will be fine!

I see your hotties are going off up there....... mine have died back and dropped their leaves, we have the fire on now. The advantages of living in queensland!

cheers

Tony, the Devils Tongues and Bhut's are going nuts right now. Throwing out flowers and fruit...finally. The rainbows are shedding leaves. The Birds eyes are sprouting new flowers and fruit as well. For how much longer??..... Hope it dosen't stop!

Saving the devil's and bhuts for sauces and hopefully the romas and chilli's ripen at the same time for this!

Yes - I ate my first bhut and Devils Tongue raw.... shit mate I nearly cried. The sauce I made out of the Bhut is the most wicked bread dip ever....mmmmmm. Use it like salsa :) I just can't wait for a few more ripe Devils to make a yummy DT sauce.

Defrosted chillis are almost dry now. Been in the machine most of the day and they are crisping up nicely. Will make fine flakes.

Cheers all

Well one of the Habernero plants and the Firecracker have sprouted.. still waiting on the others...

Well one of the Habernero plants and the Firecracker have sprouted.. still waiting on the others...

move them to where they can get some sun but not outside

put them on the heat pad today, and I am buying a UV light on Monday...

My habanero's & jalapeno's plants arent doing so well at the moment. They're sitting in the sun, but im thinking they might be nutrient deficient. The leaves are going yellow and patchy. Any ideas?

My habanero's & jalapeno's plants arent doing so well at the moment. They're sitting in the sun, but im thinking they might be nutrient deficient. The leaves are going yellow and patchy. Any ideas?

They'll start falling off soon. Just winter time. For NSW, you are doing well. Here on the Gold Coast only my Rainbow has lost 90% of its leaves. I would expect all my hots dead in 6 to 8 weeks time although they are till podding. Even the 7 pot has three new pods growing...YEAH!

It's the cold nights that kill chilli mate. Over winter them and they will come back in about 4 months. I planted four hab seeds last month. They all come up and are growing well inside on the window sill although only about 10mm tall. They should be well on their way when they go outside in three months :) I'm overwintering all my 7 pots, devils tongues and bhut plants....hopefully.

I bought some chillie chutney dip from a framers market toady, just siiting down after dinner with some corn chips and the dip, faaarkin' loverly, I'm sweating my arse off and the flavour is so intense. One of the best chillie dips I've ever had. No affiliation at all but the tag on the jar says Decibells. Bloody good stuff

My chilli seeds from Tony took ages to get going so wasnt expecting too much in there first season however am amazed they are still throwing the odd flower at this time of year and have 3 7-pods forming slowly.Hanging out to try them if they survive the winter.

Cheers
Dave
125_2579.JPG
125_2582.JPG

Made some of my tropicanberra chilli sauce yesterday:

2 Devil Tongues
1 7 Pot
9 Orange Habs
1 cup vinegar (white)
1/4 cup lime juice
2 cups apple juice
1 cup water
1 tin diced tomatoes
1 tin Apricot halves
1 tin Pineapple slices
1 tin Mango slices
One cinnamon stick
2tspns salt
2tspns sugar

Yum, its beautiful and fruity, spicey and HOT :)

Cheers
Steve

All my chillies have died. The -7 the other morning managed to get under the 6ft wide porch roof where they've been happily sitting. Now they are looking very sad and frazzled. :(

it's still just warm enough for them in qld

IMG_0104.jpg

Steve...... all of mine are back to bare sticks...... the odd leaf and the odd undersized chilli.

I took most of last years plants that i didnt like much to the tip today and will be looking at getting things happening with seeds for the coming season up and running tonight.

I have kept a coupla Jalapino's, the Thai Super Hot, "THE" 7 Pod, the Bhut Jalokia and the Devil Tongue.........and will be bagging a lot of flowers this year to get some true strain seeds off these 3 plants.

New plants i plan to grow:

Barackpore 7 Pod (hottest i have ever tried...... terrefied of these)
Raja Mirch (Nagaland Naga Morich 1,600,000 SHU) :eek:
Trinidad Scorpion (got seeds from ones with tails as most dont have the tail)
Yellow 7 Pods
Douglah (brown scary wrinkly EVIL 7 Pods)
Chocolate habs
Bih Assam Bhut Jalokias (i have never been able to get these to sprout..... maybe this time :))
Rocoto Red
Ring of Fire (very hot ceyanne chilli)
7 Pod Jonah (rare brain strain variety from a trinidad grower.... very rare but only a couple old seeds..... not holding breath)

BRING IT ON!

Latest posts

Back