Chilli! All Things Chillies.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Tony, I went to a chili farm in Gippsland (the guy didnt actually have any chili's on the trees?) anyway he had two yellow chili's he called frajita (fraheeta) they were very hot and had a lovely mango passionfruit aroma and flavour. I made a chocolate chili icecream with them and it was bloody good - HOT and Fruity and chocolatey.

Can you give me any info on the chili and do you have any seeds for them?

cheers

I have searched the chilli databases on line and nothing comes up related to that name.

did they look like these?

http://www.thechileman.org/results.php?fin...p;submit=Search

I have these growing. They are hot and have a very unique citrus flavour and aroma. Much different to the usual habanero.

here is the plant i had going last year.

cheers

Oneipreparedearlier1248x832.jpg

DevilTongues090426.jpg

They look like Scotch Bonnets to me. I have them growing here usuall - not this year though.

Found a pic... were they like this Merc?

sb_bonet.jpg

They didnt look like the scotch bonnets inCider they do look like the Fatali as in Tony's picture so I probably heard the name and immediatley thought of Frajitas - the mexican chili dish!

The samples that Haggis gave me had been frozen and were thawing out so they may have been a little different in shape when fresh but I would say yes to Fatali. The aroma and fragrance were fantstic as I said frutiy mango/passionfruit and now I know they are considered to be super hot I dont feel like such a wimp when I spat the bite I took out of one out before I finished chewing it and it finished me!

I put two of the chili's in the icream along with a cup of milk, 2 cups of cream, 1 egg, some sugar and two blocks of chocolate - one dairy milk and one 70% dark. It was hot but not overly so but I did think the fruitiness from the chili worked a treat.

Thanks guys

The description of the taste did it for me...... yellow and starting with F..... what else could it be :)

If you want some seeds Merc i can organise it. Mine are actually a chilli called the Devil tongue which is all but identical...... only much harder to get hold of. I make a Jerk sauce with them, made with pinaple and vinigar, and christmas spices. Its devine on white meat and prawns. I have a Fatalii plant frowing as well to compare them.

The fatalii is actually an African relative of the habanero so they are not a scotch bonnet.

Incider.... those Scotchies look awsome! Do you have a few seeds lying around? I have a Faria growing which is a big red caribian scotch bonnet and should look like a big habanero but deeply ribed down the sides. they are suposed to taste great!

cheers

Great recipe Merc - chilli and chocolate - Braw! :D

Tony - I'll dig around for some seeds - should have some I can find in the freezer, it not, I'll just dry them for you.

No chillies for me now... off to climb Mt Barney...no time for a sore erse! :lol:

Speaking of Fatalii's

Fatalii.jpg

My Douglahs are going well too.... they have flowers on them :)

Douglahs.jpg

Oh.... thats only the start :).... i could post up 20 pics but will wait till i have some cool chillis to go nuts :)

cheers

Nice pics Tony. Imagine the aroma from those fields!
Cheers
Steve

Or going home from work and needing a piss........... AHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..... it burns!

Ive got a few ripe ones on the go here.

Pic is 7's and Devil Tongues....... some of which are sun scared from some stinking hot days.

7sandDTs.jpg

Here is an Ancho pablano..... cant wait to try one of these!

Ancho.jpg

Big Jims these can get to a foot long aparently :)

BigJims.jpg

Douglah's......... Please dont fall off.... Please dont fall off!

DouglahFlowers-1.jpg

Plenty others too but will bore you with them when there bigger.

Cheers

Looking good Tony.I had a seed strike rate of about 95% from the seeds you sent me so am very happy.Only issue is that they seem to be growing real slow.Is this normal?

Cheers
Big D

Depends mate...... have you got a picture of them?

It could be the soil there in, size of the pot, temperature, could be anything.

cheers

No pics atm Tony however potted up from one of those mini green house seed raisers and are in about 5" pots.Soils good etc so who knows.Will give the tackers a feed of seasol this arvo and see how they progress.Perth weather is warming up quite well so hope they take off.

Cheers
Dave

bog_d, try feeding them more nitrogen based food mate to get them pumping. Fish emulsion is the one you will want. Seasol company does one called power feed I think. Even the coles fish emulsion is pretty good. Normal seasol seems to be best for transplanting and fruiting time.

Hey Tony the plants are looking good mate. The 7's look bad ass :eek:

Sames happening with mine Big-d. Germinated in little seed raising greenhouses about 2-3 months ago. Transferred to pots and they are still only about 2-3inches tall. Lost a few to earwigs, 2yr old deciding to pull them all out, being flattened with a basketball, pots tipped over by dog etc etc. It'll be winter before we know it here in Canberra.
Cheers
Steve

Oh bugger.

I took mine out of the seed raising trays and put them in 4 inch pots and they got to aboout 3 or 4 inches tall and stopped growing. I have left some in these little pots and they never grew any bigger.

The rest i put in big 25 litter pots and they are growing huge, as you can see from the pictures. I have some in the garden that were germinated at the same time as the ones in pots and they are still only 3 or 4 inches tall because they stop getting direct sunlight at lunchtime.

The superhots can be a bit difficult and if they arnt in ideal conditions, they just wont work.

My over wintered Bhut is in differnt soil to what i usually use and it hates it. It drops every single flower. Its only set one chilli, which is almost ripe and im thanking god i still have a bag of frozen ones from last year. I will just have to keep it alive and pot it in the mix it likes next year.

I need the Bhuts for my Curry hot sauce, which i will be making more of later on today :)

cheers

Cheers Cube will give the fish emulsion a go and reckon i will up the pot size to there final resting/growing space .

Woo Hoo.... i had a package turn up today from the UK

I got some Red Rocoto seeds...... as the fruit flys killed every chilli i grew a couple years back, but i have traps now that kill em all!
I got some Assam Bhut Jalokia seeds, the ones i grow now are CPI (Chilli Pepper Institute) Bhuts and are guaranteed pure strain but these are pure strain from the indian ones.
I got some seeds called Raja Mirch. They are the origional indian Naga Morich and have been tested at almost 1.6 million SHU :D

here is a link to where i got them

http://www.chileseeds.co.uk/hot_chili_pepper_seed.htm

they also sent me some free seeds called "ring of fire".... they sound like life as i know it :) They are a hot style of ceyanne chilli that will be great to grow for sauce next year.

cheers

Back