Chilli! All Things Chillies.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chillies don't like too much water. Rule of thumb is water them every second day during summer. Every day if it is hot.

They don't like being in the hot sun all day either, and will do better with shade for half the day (morning sun, afternoon shade) or under shade cloth.

During winter they tend to go dormant with the colder weather (depending on the type of chilli). I water mine if/when I remember. I don't think I watered them 5 times last winter.

How often should I water my chilli's in winter and summer? They keep dying from too much or too little. I mainly have garden chillies, peri peri, and maybe some ghost that haven't flowered yet.
In warmer comfortable climate they like to feed and drink more. In the hot sun they will want/need to drink more.
Don't over water either. Honestly its a balance of your time or automate the time of watering.

Food is Organics the best, compost, plus little additions of required nutrients and pH balance.
This for all organics.

Last edited:
I have a load of capsicum in the garden they were suffering in full sun, thriving now I have put shade cloth over them.
I moved them out of the sun under a shade cloth as well and they are striving now. I know this isn't the thread for it, but what do we think about potted Citrus/Lime trees? Same treatment? They're also getting too much sun right not I think. Cheers

I moved them out of the sun under a shade cloth as well and they are striving now. I know this isn't the thread for it, but what do we think about potted Citrus/Lime trees? Same treatment? They're also getting too much sun right not I think. Cheers
I have one (a lime) thriving in the ground, what I have read for limes they don't like a windy position.

Back