Chilli! All Things Chillies.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like I will be getting a bumper crop of Long Cayenne and Birds eye this year that last dose of rain we had really pushed them along, got some white Habanero but don't seem to grow very big.

View attachment 111051

These are the chilli I mentioned above. What kinda are the lime green type if they aren’t cayenne?

Also any ideas how’s to prevent some fruit getting that brown rot on it? Is it pest damage?

Could be sunburn causing the brown area on your chilli. Shade-cloth when it is really hot may help.

The little chilli could be a Serrano if it isn't a Jalapeno.

Just like there are definitive books for brewing, can anyone suggest a book or two to help speed my knowledge of growing chillies?
I'm also assuming that there are sites too.
Growing a hydro Jalapeno, Carolina Reaper and dirt grown Trinidad Scorpion. Landscaping garden over winter to prepare for a huge bed and looking for varieties and info. The in-laws are insane over chillies and they have a lot of Thai varieties that i can steal, looking for something exotic, grows huge and tastes a little sweeter than the Thai varieties as i want to ferment using lacto.

I just google for any gardening problems, I Hydro grew Carolina Reaper and Habenero chili not the season past but the previous season, after this years harvest I will have enough to last me a couple of years after drying. I have found that aphids simply love chili and capsicum plants, tried allsorts to remove them I think the most effective was high pressure water spray to blast them off.

I had some reapers and Trinidad scorpions in th freezer, the mother in law found them and thought the were mini capsicums or something, she threw them into a stir fry and it was like pepper spray gas. The kitchen was full of fumes burning eyes and hard to breathe. Damn strong chillis

My dad just have me some dried garden chilli seeds. What is the best way to start growing them, and when? Cheers.

My dad just have me some dried garden chilli seeds. What is the best way to start growing them, and when? Cheers.

The chilliFactory vids are excellent for learning how to grow them. A milton soak is a must! A heatpad is really worthwhile if you are going to get into propagating specific strains etc as you really need to hold a 27c temp with 100% humidity for these guys to pop. Can't remember the rules on links but will throw it up - just google growing the hottest chilli peppers in the world.

I had some reapers and Trinidad scorpions in th freezer, the mother in law found them and thought the were mini capsicums or something, she threw them into a stir fry and it was like pepper spray gas. The kitchen was full of fumes burning eyes and hard to breathe. Damn strong chillis
The worst is when you finish making a sauce and go to clean your gear - all the capsaicans just turn into steam. Damn I hate clean up.. well on everything really but particularly chillies.

I just google for any gardening problems, I Hydro grew Carolina Reaper and Habenero chili not the season past but the previous season, after this years harvest I will have enough to last me a couple of years after drying. I have found that aphids simply love chili and capsicum plants, tried allsorts to remove them I think the most effective was high pressure water spray to blast them off.
I ended up giving a lot of my reapers away, they are just pure heat and I prefer to have some chilli flavour with my heat. My absolute favourite is Jamaican MOA. Smells like apricots when you cut them open and have a great heat about 1 1/2 times a habanero. If you want seeds pm me, I saved a bunch from a couple of pods.

The chilliFactory vids are excellent for learning how to grow them. A milton soak is a must! A heatpad is really worthwhile if you are going to get into propagating specific strains etc as you really need to hold a 27c temp with 100% humidity for these guys to pop. Can't remember the rules on links but will throw it up - just google growing the hottest chilli peppers in the world.
Awesome thanks heaps. There's so much information overload out there, it's always good to know where to start looking :)

When I grow chilies again, maybe next year or the year after that I don't think I will be going for the man made strains, I will just stick with Jalapeno.
Did you know chilies aren't really hot, its our brain which indicates the heat which isn't really there, birds can eat chili without feeling any heat and chilies germinate better when they have passed through a birds digestive system. Not many people know that.:)

When I grow chilies again, maybe next year or the year after that I don't think I will be going for the man made strains, I will just stick with Jalapeno.
Did you know chilies aren't really hot, its our brain which indicates the heat which isn't really there, birds can eat chili without feeling any heat and chilies germinate better when they have passed through a birds digestive system. Not many people know that.:)

I knew the first part, but who the hell did the research on the second part and why? :)

I put a couple of birds eyes in the ground around the parent plant at the end of the last season..
And over the weekend I found a whole heap of teeny seedlings on the edge of the mulch next to the trunk of my birds eye tree.

The birds eye is a little confused me thinks, it is sprouting a whole heap of new leaves and branches and even buds... its the middle of forking winter....

I knew the first part, but who the hell did the research on the second part and why? :)
Well it can be a very long answer, but plants are a lot smarter than we give them credit for, they have a more complex DNA than ours, they have been on earth a lot longer than mammals and they have been studying and watching us for since we were shrews. Every single living thing has one thing in common and that is to survive, that is the foremost objective of everything on earth, plants can't run from danger so they have developed different methods to avoid getting eaten.
The worlds phosphate supplies are now so depleted Monash University has been testing thousands of different plants to find out what the plants will do, what they have found is that they will become dwarfed and produce more arsenic. So not a good time coming up to go vegetarian.
A good doco to watch is, 'The Intelligence of Plants' scientists have discovered a lot more since the documentary was made.

This also allows the birds to spread the seeds around as they shit them out, whereas a mammal wouldn't. We just eat the fruit.
I think that was what the aim of the plant was, as do a number of plants rely on birds for their survival, tomatoes and strawberries come to mind.
Scientists now know plants can see light in 3 different colours and they can also count.

Anyone tried fermented chilli sauce? Im trying some for the first time atm. Smells delicious

Well there you go. A chilli growing thread on the home brew forum.

Only new here and I am still exploring what is on offer and found this.

New to home brew but have been growing chillies for a while now. I love my home made chilli sauces.

I will put up some pics of my chilli garden once I figure out how to post photos.

I also have a bit of a bbq obsession so will end up putting pics in the brew food section of that as well.

How often should I water my chilli's in winter and summer? They keep dying from too much or too little. I mainly have garden chillies, peri peri, and maybe some ghost that haven't flowered yet.

Back