Chilli! All Things Chillies.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stu
Nice! Thanks mate. Absolutely after the Scorps...mmmm. I got red bhuts and yellow 7 pot. Not red 7 pot. Are yours red 7 pot?

If so, I'll swap you what ever you want from my list for the red 7 pot and scorps :)

Pm me mate if you can.

Cheers

I have 2kg of Carolina Reaper Hot sauce. Last year I had a bumper crop more the a kg, I pureed the Carolina Reapers added 2% salt by weight and allowed a lacto ferment for 6 months on oak cubes. Then I added 500ml of Apple Cider Vinegar and 500gm of Leatherwood Honey.

It is a beast, it starts sweet and soft fruity and then sour then it burns, starting slow only to get brutal. I have given it to a group of chilli freaks - no one has mastered it.

If any one is into pain, let me know for a free sample.

I have 2kg of Carolina Reaper Hot sauce. Last year I had a bumper crop more the a kg, I pureed the Carolina Reapers added 2% salt by weight and allowed a lacto ferment for 6 months on oak cubes. Then I added 500ml of Apple Cider Vinegar and 500gm of Leatherwood Honey.

It is a beast, it starts sweet and soft fruity and then sour then it burns, starting slow only to get brutal. I have given it to a group of chilli freaks - no one has mastered it.

If any one is into pain, let me know for a free sample.

Assuming you won't be out of pocket ie: i can PayPal postage, sure, I'm in for a bit. Any seeds this year? Not sure if what I have is to you liking but I posted it above.

Ok, there seems to be an update to the forum, or apparently a downgrade since my last visit. I can't see a way to PM Stu or Tsucker. Any tips?

Ok, there seems to be an update to the forum, or apparently a downgrade since my last visit. I can't see a way to PM Stu or Tsucker. Any tips?
Click their user name. Start conversation. You haven't been around for some time! There was a migration. Admin was courteous to make a complaints thread. I think its aw 300 pages long or something.

Assuming you won't be out of pocket ie: i can PayPal postage, sure, I'm in for a bit. Any seeds this year? Not sure if what I have is to you liking but I posted it above.

Still to early for seeds, I have just started getting my first fruit. It will be another two months before I have seeds. However I would not trade them, since chillies hybridise with any capsicum I cannot vouch for their pedigree. Many of my neighbours grow chillies and the odds are my seeds would be a ******* strain. But the fruit is pure.

Hey first time chilli grower here. Picked up a couple cayenne type varieties from Bunnings. One is standard long red/green cayenne on the label, however the fruit which has been growing for a month or so now (maybe longer) is bright lime green. Looks healthy/good but how long does take for the fruit to change colour?

The smaller one which was labelled as “Firecracker” has very small birds eye type fruit which is that standard deep green chilli colour, again no fruit has standard to change colour.

Click their user name. Start conversation. You haven't been around for some time! There was a migration. Admin was courteous to make a complaints thread. I think its aw 300 pages long or something.

Indeed a bit of a gardening leave. I haven't bothered to come back in AGES because there was ongoing issues with the new owners lol. I'm here for the chilli community now :) I'd like to poke around the 300 page said complaints thread. Got a stinky linky?

Indeed a bit of a gardening leave. I haven't bothered to come back in AGES because there was ongoing issues with the new owners lol. I'm here for the chilli community now :) I'd like to poke around the 300 page said complaints thread. Got a stinky linky?
Serious? Maybe I was thinking 300 complaints long. No its 667 posts, 34 pages long. Go for your life! https://aussiehomebrewer.com/threads/migration-complete-complain-here.95317/page-34#post-1497907

Hey how did you go about chilli powdering. I have many dried of the high level stuff but when blending them its like spraying mace through your house. I suffered seriously when I've tried so I keep them whole now.
I've looked for grinders but no luck other than Mortal and Pestle.

Hey first time chilli grower here. Picked up a couple cayenne type varieties from Bunnings. One is standard long red/green cayenne on the label, however the fruit which has been growing for a month or so now (maybe longer) is bright lime green. Looks healthy/good but how long does take for the fruit to change colour?

The smaller one which was labelled as “Firecracker” has very small birds eye type fruit which is that standard deep green chilli colour, again no fruit has standard to change colour.

Be careful with the bunnings ones. Some are pretty much 'ornamental'. Don't bother cooking with them. In saying that, I have seen Bhut Jolokias and some half decent Habanero there. Chilli is less about heat, well to an extent for cooking, but more flavour in dishes. I suggest growing red and orange Habanero to start with, get a grasp of the different flavour profiles. If you like the orange variety, fruity, tropical, dive into the yellow and chocolate devils tongue. God... fantastic for curries etc. Hey, think different hops flavours, now think chilli varieties... different flavour profiles, heat levels...

If you want more heat go up from there because the habs are about 350,000 SHU then multiply that by three for the 7 pots, Bhut Jolokias, Dorset nagas or another step up again is the Trinidad scorpians etc.

Serious? Maybe I was thinking 300 complaints long. No its 667 posts, 34 pages long. Go for your life! https://aussiehomebrewer.com/threads/migration-complete-complain-here.95317/page-34#post-1497907

Hey how did you go about chilli powdering. I have many dried of the high level stuff but when blending them its like spraying mace through your house. I suffered seriously when I've tried so I keep them whole now.
I've looked for grinders but no luck other than Mortal and Pestle.

Arr yes, drying and grinding 1 million + scoville chillies.. Not for the faint hearted indeed. I have a food dehydrator. Cut all in half first, helps cutting time down and dries better.

Once dry, nice and crispy, I crack out the magic bullet. I use both blades. The 4 blades first to do the majour chopping, then transfer it to the smallest glass and use the grinding blade. Only 1/4 fill the small plastic glass container with the grinding blade and let it go for a minute. Super fine powder.

Now, I do this in my garage , AIR FLOW, by the open roller door with the internal garage door to the house locked. If I don't lock the door and someone comes out, it's almost instant death for them. I'm not joking. I don't wear masks or gloves or anything now. I'm almost used to it. Yes I sneeze and cough a lot during the grinding ( I grind a lot), and sometimes if its windy my hands and forearms burn for hours all night afterwards but I kinda like that now. There is one golden rule, if you need to piss, sit down and go hands free. I've been known to sit in the pool for some time after grinding super hots and forgetting the hands free policy.

Ive tried masks but it just does not help, it gets in. The key for me is to wait a minute to let the grind settle in the grinding cups, open and transfer gently between grinding blades, containers etc. I also do all the cleaning up, even washing the magic bullet cups and blades are carefully and slowly done. Open that water tap to fast and shoot water into that cup/blade... nuclear in the kitchen.

I don't know where you are but I can grind for you in you are in the gold coast. Does not take long and I have found even dried chilli can suck up moisture and start to go soft again in our humidity. Powder does not and keeps ages.

Still to early for seeds, I have just started getting my first fruit. It will be another two months before I have seeds. However I would not trade them, since chillies hybridise with any capsicum I cannot vouch for their pedigree. Many of my neighbours grow chillies and the odds are my seeds would be a ******* strain. But the fruit is pure.

Early? wow I've been fruiting for 4-5 months at least now. Must be the Melbourne temps? I'm not fussed on the pedigree at all. Most all of us open pollenate our chillies and thats a fact of life. I'm still keen for a few seeds :)

Cheers

I do not get a full harvest, it is mid autumn before the bulk of my chillies mature and by winter I still have a few that are small and green. Melbourne just does not have a long and hot enough growing season. Last year I had 10 reapers plants this year I only have three. They survive winter but most died exposed to the frost. When the end of year comes I can set some aside for you for seed.

IMG_7429.jpg

These are the chilli I mentioned above. What kinda are the lime green type if they aren’t cayenne?

Also any ideas how’s to prevent some fruit getting that brown rot on it? Is it pest damage?

Looks like a cayenne to me... I have a cayenne variety that looks very similar to that. No idea what the rot is, sorry, but I'm, pulling about half a dozen of them off my 2 plans per week through the summer.

Cheers mate, yeah looks like I’ll reap a similar amount. In fact I think I potted it in too small a pot as I struggle to keep the soil moist during hot Melbourne spells. The plants just lap it up and the leaves start to droop if I don’t keep them watered (twice a day sometimes).
They tasted OK, standard chilli taste, maybe a bit bitter but probably because they need longer on the plant to ripen?

View attachment 111051

These are the chilli I mentioned above. What kinda are the lime green type if they aren’t cayenne?

Also any ideas how’s to prevent some fruit getting that brown rot on it? Is it pest damage?
The little one on the right looks to be jalapeño.the left 3 will turn red (jalapeño also turns red if you leave it long enough.

They will continue to build heat until fully ripe and their true colour.

Yes I believe the bitterness is probably because they are under-ripe, mine tend to go from dark green to red within a few days at the moment. They also ripen quickly in a bright spot near bananas.

Latest posts

Back