Chilli! All Things Chillies.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's some seriouse shit Gav80.

I'm boiling up some serious shit tonight. Mongrel cross breed/hybrid Bhut Jolokia into small canning jars for long storage.
Free samples for anyone game in my local zone. Just pm me with interest of serious hot chilli sauce.
In house overload I really have to give it away fresh!

I have Trinidad Scorpions in harvest as well.

Does anyone know what these might be ?
They are all very hot to my taste. The first ones are my favourite with the seeds removed, very sweet.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Thanks Liam, I've been calling them bell peppers.

My Trinidad scorpions are coming along nicely.
It's getting cold here.
I'm thinking about setting up a greenhouse. ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1495265644.798130.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1495265689.992910.jpg

Do you get frosts ?

Regardless, cut them back hard after fruiting to a stump, if you get frost then cover in saw dust

abyss said:
Does anyone know what these might be ?
They are all very hot to my taste. The first ones are my favourite with the seeds removed, very sweet.
1st photo is , um, something Lantern. Maybe Chinese Lantern? (Not Bell Peppers which are your common Capsicum)
2nd photo um, Upside down Cayenne? :unsure: Don't count that out as a possibility.
3rd photo is Thai Birdseye. Your second photo could be a crossbreed of this since it points up. :unsure:

Ducatiboy stu said:
Do you get frosts ?

Regardless, cut them back hard after fruiting to a stump, if you get frost then cover in saw dust
I'm thinking of running a few led lights and trying to grow year round.
It's not that cold where I am.

If anybody wants some free seeds just message me. They are all hot to my tastes but happy to share.

tugger said:
I'm thinking of running a few led lights and trying to grow year round.
It's not that cold where I am.
You can also go for CFLs and a couple of desk lamps. Most seem to say the 5000k + (cool daylight) in the highest wattage you can get are the ones to go for. I've taken to self watering planter boxes and CFLs to grow my less cold tolerant herbs and its working fine. Now I'll be able to enjoy fresh pesto or Thyme on my pizza year round. Probably.
I picked up one of these off e bay for peanuts. It has yet to short out or catch fire.

61lAcxuZF5L._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg

Trouble with growing " under lights " is you need A LOT of light...equivalent of mid afternoon sun

What are you trying to achieve by growing under lights ?

Do what stu suggested cut back hard and wait it out till summer, all of the solanaceae family do not like cold damp conditions. You could make up some plastic shelters around them, an Italian guy close by to me has a 2 meter high egg plant which he covers each winter.

I live in a very cold place (on top of a mountain in Victoria) & have a bugger of a time getting chilli seeds to germinate naturally.

I've been thinking I could get them going inside (warm) & growing (under lights) before transferring them outside to the veggie patch once they're established.

Nothing but Rocoto will survive a winter up here & even that's a challenge.

Not such a silly idea..

Latest posts

Back