Chilli! All Things Chillies.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ducatiboy stu said:
It did that with some Jalepenious. But I sterilized them in a water bath with the lids on to get a good vacum seal.
Yep. I like the jars with that pop seal thingy on the lid. Reassuring seal they have.

I made something similar to indica86's basic fermented sauce and it turned out great. I added some whey which may have helped things along

Hey all you Chilli heads, I bought a variety pack of mexican chilli seeds, I wondering if I should be waiting till after winter to plant. Any suggestions?

cheers

Browndog

Yes...unless you can keep your seed raising box above 20*c. Chillies need warm soil to germinate.

And some, like a Habanero take some kind of voodoo + temps of 30° to germinate.

I have read that a mild bleach or miltons solution helps breakdown the hydrophobic coating on the seeds.

Some of them you just fluke it....

Well Stu, the temps reach into the low 20 in mid winter but can get below freezing overnight. Better I wait till spring me thinks.

Thanks indica is there a fave chilli site that describes them well?

My brother in law and I used a homemade recipe years ago, the piece of paper upon which it was written has not been seen for about 20'odd years and is searched for still to this day. I'll do my best to recall what was in the marinade sauce we made up. Quantities I have not even the roughest of ideas.

chopped chili
garlic
olive oil
lime juice
vinegar (possibly, of this I can not be certain, it doesn't sound as if it fits but for some reason it springs to mind as being part of the recipe)

Rib fillet steak
potato slices
couple tomatoes chopped up roughly
thick cut buttered slices of the bread of your choice

copious amounts of homebrew

good company

Marinate the rib fillet in the sauce overnight, then cook in the frypan. No extra oil needed due to oil in the sauce. Set cooked steak aside to sit and then shallow fry your potato slices in a small amount of the sauce. Set potato slices aside once cooked, then combine remaining sauce and chopped tomatoes and cook until heated through in the frypan. Once done, pour over your steak, add potato slices to your plate, and have the rest of the sauce mix as an aside on your plate to dip your bread in.

Enjoy with previously mentioned homebrew and good company.

Coming in to the cooler months and now I'm back brewing this is going to be researched thoroughly.

Bizier said:
attachicon.gif
20140413_1521141.jpg

I was poking around and comparing various sickly and scrawny neglected superhots at Bunnings and asked the bloke a question on price. He said if I take the lot, then he'd mark them to a buck each. Fifteen bucks later, I am replacing my lost attempt at growing a bunch of 7 Pod Jonahs. I saw a Butch T and there is a larger red Bhut as well, but the bulk are Jonahs, which I am very happy with.

My life has been a bit crap of late (on the up), it is funny that something like this would make me so happy.
I did the same,
the ones I got were a bit worse than yours,
but they have all hled on,
hopefully will make it thru winter
hope things are looking up still.

Will have to troll through this thread when on the PC, but here are my takings from a summer's worth of growing -

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1403519717.449713.jpg

Trinidad scorpions. HOT. I've taken some to work and claimed a few victims. I regularly use Mad Dog 357, Blair's Mega Death and Scorpion Strike on my lunches and a 1/3 of one of these is in the same ball park. Really flavoursome, similar to a habanero but with more balls. Love them.
Any ideas for a recipe? I'd love to make a hot apple jam or similar fruity sauce that compliments the flavours.
Getting sick of taking lava shits though to be honest. Worth it but.

I have made some awsome tabasco sauce using Indica's recipie. Beautiful and fruity

I made one lot with added scorps.

I have cut mine all back for winter.

Ducatiboy stu said:
I have made some awsome tabasco sauce using Indica's recipie. Beautiful and fruity

I made one lot with added scorps.

I have cut mine all back for winter.
Great stuff.
All mine are still fruiting.

My seeds are going nicely in the propagator. They're in the north-facing spare room in full sun.
Soil temp. seems to hold around 28-30°C for most of the day, which is pretty much perfect.

Thai, Cayenne and Rocotto to go with my two Bird's Eye plants, which have been over-wintered twice (no growth on the stumps yet, which is slightly concerning).

Hopefully a few more Rocottos come up (3 so far). I really want to do heaps of poppers this season and I think these will work well...quite large with lots of flesh but still room for meat and/or cheese fillings. Should be a good Jalapeño alternative.

Can't wait. Any more activity out there, people ?

20140908_162942.jpg

Back