Chiller Art

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Borret

Crazy Eye's Brewery
Reaction score
All this talk about chillers has made me pull my finger out and finally take the plunge and bend me pipe.
Not wanting to conform to the boring spiral but believing in true aesthetics in everything I build, yet heeding the random, maximum surface area and thermal column free theories- I set to create some thing both 'Pretty and Practical.' :p

You be the judge! :unsure:

And you can keep a lid on with an IM.

Borret :blink:

chiller.jpgkettle.jpg
lid.jpg

Borret, you're an artist.

To quote a wise man " you shoul open a shop" !!

This beer is dedicated to your chiller :beer:

Very nice Chiller there Borret. May I ask how long the length of copper used & how did you go about coiling the inside & outside tubing?

Thanks,
Phil

Keep rockin' the free world, borret.

Hakko said:
Very nice Chiller there Borret. May I ask how long the length of copper used & how did you go about coiling the inside & outside tubing?

Thanks,
Phil
[post="68893"][/post]​

Thanks Phil,

The copper is 3/8 and it's a full 18m roll (kindly donated by my folks for my birthday) As a stroke of luck I only ended up cutting about 30mm off one end to even up the connections. :)

Coiling..... left hand over right hand over left hand over right..... (or you may have noticed the 82mm heavy walled poster tubes on the floor in one of the photo's which may suggest that I am being sarcastic :p How i jigged them up you will have to sort out yourself)

Cheers

Kudos,

Man, that's thinking outside the Borret box. :beer:

Warren -

Mmmmm. And soooooo shiny.
I just noticed the inner coil as well.
Brilliant.

hand.jpg

Yep.

BIG HAND.

Mate...that is a work of art. I'm eternally jealous of your resourcefulness

Nice job Borret - a bit like those trippy 70s wall hangings with the coloured wire wound around nails to make a spirograph sort of pattern. Only yours is functional too.

Top banana mate, that looks the bollocks. I must get round to doing mine, I have an 18M coil sitting under the house but have been preoccupied with building my new brewstand at every opportunity.
Your IC is inspirational but I think I will stay more mainstream with mine. :super:

hey is the 3/8" the OD or ID?

and that is one sexy chiller... :super:

RobW said:
Nice job Borret - a bit like those trippy 70s wall hangings with the coloured wire wound around nails to make a spirograph sort of pattern. Only yours is functional too.
[post="68919"][/post]​

Or perhaps mounted on a granite block outside the Queen Vic. Market? :rolleyes:

Warren -

The amalgamation of form and function, so elegantly juxtaposing the arciform and rectilinear contours evokes the mellifluous jouissance reminiscent of an operating chiller in full flow. This is more than yin and yang. Here we see the confluence of art and industry; the consumation of a brewer and his craft.

This is Aussie ingenuity at its finest.

Bidtfaun said:

[post="68923"][/post]​

The size of annealed copper tube manufactured to AS1572 is specified by two numbers "A x T". "A" represents the OD, and "T" is the thickness, both in millimetres :huh:

The two most common immersion chiller sizes seem to be 3/8" and 1/2":

3/8", Size = 9.52 x 0.91
1/2", Size = 12.70 x 0.91 or 12.70 x 1.02

I think someone asked a while back about displacement volumes of copper tube. Based on these ODs:

3/8" => 71.2 mL/m (1.28 L/18m)
1/2" => 126.7 mL/m (2.28 L/18m)

PostModern said:
The amalgamation of form and function, so elegantly juxtaposing the arciform and rectilinear contours evokes the mellifluous jouissance reminiscent of an operating chiller in full flow. This is more than yin and yang. Here we see the confluence of art and industry; the consumation of a brewer and his craft.

[post="68938"][/post]​

Cheers PM :beer:

BeerIsGood said:
Bidtfaun said:

[post="68923"][/post]​

The size of annealed copper tube manufactured to AS1572 is specified by two numbers "A x T". "A" represents the OD, and "T" is the thickness, both in millimetres :huh:

The two most common immersion chiller sizes seem to be 3/8" and 1/2":

3/8", Size = 9.52 x 0.91
1/2", Size = 12.70 x 0.91 or 12.70 x 1.02

I think someone asked a while back about displacement volumes of copper tube. Based on these ODs:

3/8" => 71.2 mL/m (1.28 L/18m)
1/2" => 126.7 mL/m (2.28 L/18m)
[post="68939"][/post]​

Minus 1m that does not sit in wort :p

PostModern said:

[post="68938"][/post]​
Yes, interesting point PoMo. But I feel the artists use of light and shade capture the essence of the fundamental paradox of human existence. But do you think the artist has caputred his environment, or the environment has captured the artist?

Borret- all this wanky arty talk proves one thing: You should get an arts grant from the government, to subsidise your herculean efforts.

barfridge said:
PostModern said:

[post="68938"][/post]​
Yes, interesting point PoMo. But I feel the artists use of light and shade capture the essence of the fundamental paradox of human existence. But do you think the artist has caputred his environment, or the environment has captured the artist?

Borret- all this wanky arty talk proves one thing: You should get an arts grant from the government, to subsidise your herculean efforts.
[post="68964"][/post]​

Please don't start down the dark path of the Semiotics Analysis, the 3 F's and the design principals of the Bauhaus. Once you do forever will it dominate your destiny.

I studied that stuff at Uni and still don't get half of what it's on about. IMO If ya like it, ya like it, if ya don't, ya don't and if it works and people still like it then you did a good design job. The subconcious reasons you like it should be left well alone.(unless your gay perhaps) :p

Cheers

Latest posts

Back