Chiller and hops question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milkit99

Reaction score
Hi all.

Perhaps a bit of a newbie question, but somethings been nibbling at me as I've been reading up on wort chillers.

A number of posts I've read about plate chillers have users mention that one particular annoyance is when the hops clog it.
I would have thought a simple solution to this would be to tie up the hops/pellets in a little swiss voille bag, and maybe suspend it from a hook on the edge of a kettle or something. Is there any reason why this wouldn't be such a great idea?

Cheers!
Ash

Yeah that's a sound strategy, or use a hop sock.

I find pellets are ok without a bag if you whirlpool if there is not a huge hop bill but flowers definitely need to be contained.

I used a hop bag (one of the big ones from Craftbrewer) for my first few runs on the plater chiller. I've progressively phased that out. Last week I put 50g of pellets at 10 mins and another 50 at 0.

Even post whirlpool there was a fair bit of hop matter suspended, but it did not clog or noticably slow the flow. Seemed to flush out perfectly as well (fingers crossed on that one!)

Latest posts

Back