Chill-zilla

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big d

Hopaholic
Reaction score
seen on the web tonight.one mega chiller

chillzilla.jpg

that's a mean looking chiller big d

Hi Big d,
That chiller is a "thumpa".
I wonder how he braced it without soldering anything.
I am thinking of buying/building one at the moment.
I have seen one on the ESB site for $109 but it looks like it doesnt have many coils.
Does anyone use one or knows what the're like?

looks like its been braced with copper wire wrapped oround the coils then around those lenghts of pipe.
my chiller turns into a big concertina when i lift it up and down so am thinking of doing something similar to brace it a bit.
ill post pics if succesful.

cheers
big d

Mine does the same thing big d
I was thinking of using some stainless "Bandit" strip
I am sure there is some near you :p

Yep, love to see it big d. Let us know how you go!
I gotta get a digital camera.
Does anyone know a supplier in adelaide that stocks copper extrusions (I think that is the word meaning copper flat bar and rounds etc as well as pipe).
I recon if I could see what is available I could then make one.
I thought of bracing with a length of copper pipe soldered to each side of the rings.
Would this lower it efficiency by tranferring heat from the hot coils to the cooler coils or is this not worth worrying about.
Any views appreciated.

B B B.

good idea batz
would certainly keep it light.
ive got some lenghts of flat bar copper at you no where so may trial this first and see how it goes.also got a bit of copper wire to tie it all together.
should keep me busy on days off. :rolleyes:

cheers
big d

Wort Chiller

Guys, goto St Pats web site and check out the Convoluted Copper COunterflow Wort Chiller - approx 100.00usd.

I have one and some guys in the Canberra Brewers have one also.
Awesome - beats anything else out there.

You just can't order one from St.Pats anymore though.
International orders are a min US$300.
Maybe if you did a group order, but then there maybe customs issues too.

Doc

It depends upon what day of the week - it is politically incorect to say what day of the month it is - that you get the luscious Lynne...

Some days are way better than others. You should check out the US forums - there is not many homebrewers that like her or who haven't copped a serve or two, three, four etc...

She can be really Hard Core...

Alternatively, get a mate in the US to order one and then get it on freighted to Aus.

I ordered a concoluted CF chiller from morebeer.com ($109US) + a heap of other stuff for my new two tiered converted keg system..... Very impressed with it.

I also got a mag drive pump and a heap of quick disconnects as well... much cheaper than downunder.....

I got it sent through USPS economy surface mail and it still got here in under three weeks.....

Asher said:
I ordered a concoluted CF chiller from morebeer.com ($109US) + a heap of other stuff for my new two tiered converted keg system..... Very impressed with it.

I also got a mag drive pump and a heap of quick disconnects as well... much cheaper than downunder.....

I got it sent through USPS economy surface mail and it still got here in under three weeks.....
Asher

how much aus dollars was the order and was air or sea freight?

Also, did you have to pay duty?

Ken,

oooh yeah.. I paid some duty alright. Its amazing the lessons you learn isn't it.
I ordered a heap of gear with another guy from perth (trash mash Al). The order came in at over $1000 AU so you have to whats called a formal declaration in person at customs. This is a complete bitch of a thing and ended up costing another $100 on top of duty and GST......
But if the order was less than a grand then it can all be done by fax etc. and duty is much cheaper... Ive got a seperate order on the way from th US at the moment. When it arives Ill be full bottle on the import of gear from the US..... and can post a propper report listing all fees etc.

End of the day. I didn't really order anything because it was cheaper. (even though it still worked out that way). After lots of heartach sourcing gear here it was just easier to get everything from the one place.....
tell me where to get the following in Australia...
- convoluted counterflow chiller
- high temp mag drive pump
- High temp food safe quick disconnects
- temp gauges with bulkhead fittings for tanks
- food safe high temp float switches
etc....

Asher for now...... does this forum have a spell checker????????

Gday Goat whats up?

Oh I'm in love.
I love the look of that More Beer pump.

Put that in conjuction with a counter-flow chiller, temp gauge ala this page here and I'll be a brew beast every other weekend.

Please tell me it works on 240v Asher.

Doc

they actually make a pump especially for us plebs in the sothern hemisphere and Europe.... H375: Pump - Polysulphone 230V

http://www.morebeer.com/index.html?page=detail.php3&pid=H375

Quick disconnects were: H501: CPC QD Set - 1/2'' MPT
http://www.morebeer.com/index.html?page=detail.php3&pid=H501

CF Chiller:
http://www.morebeer.com/index.html?page=detail.php3&pid=wc90

Temp gauges:
http://www.morebeer.com/index.html?page=de....php3&pid=mt502

All good stuff......

See attachment of Phase 3 of my brewery so far...
finished welding the frame on the long weekend, now comes the fitout...
commissioning late May hopefully..

PS. I forgot to tell you about my burners.....
check thees out..... awesome stuff.... I ordered two of them....

http://www.morebeer.com/index.html?page=detail.php3&pid=h212

Asher for now...

Phase3_0003lowres.JPG

H.E.R.M.S........

I'm running a copper pipe in the HLT as a heay exchanger, but added a bypass for recirculating wort without going through the HLT. two thermometers read the liquor temps at mash tun outlet and HLT outlet to monitor temp differences for stepping.....

I'm going to make a web page for this baby later in the year when I finish it and learn how to..... will give full details costings etc...

Asher for now

Back