Chill Haze

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PostModern

Iron Wolf Brewery
Reaction score
I recently kegged a pretty average IPA. It was a part mash (no recipe on hand atm) and about 6.5%. The beer tastes OK, a little overly bitter, but not undrinkably so and has a major case of chill haze. Now I've not experienced this before and frankly wonder how it came to be and would like to know what to do to avoid it in future.

Hi PM,

You post also got me curious and a came across this additive:

"Burtons Water Salts"

US HB Supply

It's suppose to prevent chill haze.

Other methods were based on cold filtering around -1, -2 degress celsius but I think that was in reference to commercial/micro breweries

There are prbably thousands of causes for chill-haze.
1. Oversparging (leaches tannins out of the grain)
2. Mashing/sparging too hot (see #1)
3. Excessive protein in the final beer
4. An imbalance of tannin/protein in the final beer

The chill haze will clear by itself by the time you get to the bottom of the keg.

Alternatively you could use polyclar VT to remove it quickly.

I actually used a Burton Ale yeast (WLP023) with this one. Only other thing I've brewed with it is Oatmeal stouts, and they had no clarity issues at all ;)

Actually, on doing a little more reading myself, I find two things:

1. Chill haze will disappear as the beer warms. I will pour a 1/2 tonight and let it warm up to room temp. If it doesn't clear, I'm most likely looking at:

2. Phenol Haze. "Common" in dry-hopped beers. I definately dry hopped this one with bucket loads of EKG pellets. Stupidly, I didn't secondary this brew, just a long primary.

PostModern said:
I actually used a Burton Ale yeast (WLP023) with this one. Only other thing I've brewed with it is Oatmeal stouts, and they had no clarity issues at all ;)

Actually, on doing a little more reading myself, I find two things:

1. Chill haze will disappear as the beer warms. I will pour a 1/2 tonight and let it warm up to room temp. If it doesn't clear, I'm most likely looking at:

2. Phenol Haze. "Common" in dry-hopped beers. I definately dry hopped this one with bucket loads of EKG pellets. Stupidly, I didn't secondary this brew, just a long primary.
[post="61048"][/post]​

I just had same problem for the first time - beer was pretty clear going into thre keg but has become very hazy - mine was a light ale, heavily dry hopped - so went & got some polyclar this afternoon - hopefully this will clear it up...

I am no expert, my first AG suffered chill haze (at least I think thats what it is). I had issues with my immersion cooler and I dont think I acheived cold break. I read that this causes chill haze.

Just thought I'd point out that English real ales, which are normally kept and served at 11-13 C, will very often chill haze if stored at temperatures very much colder than this for extended periods.

PM,

You've most likely answered your own question. My money's on the hops. It's happened to me a few times with pellets. Some of them seem to leave a very fine, powdery residue that takes some time (usually the end of the keg <_< ) to settle out.

Warren -

Chille haze is a real pain in the Butt, you try everything to get rid of it but it just keeps comming back, and sometimes you find that itsactually not chill haze at all. there area few things you can do, Whirlflock/copper flack can help, some say a good protine rest in the mash can help, but i found the best thing to do was to give the beer a good cold condition for a week or 2, and it will drop out .

Also, a good long hard boil, 90 minutes say instead of just 60 minutes.

JM

Back