Chill Haze?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thunderlips

Reaction score
I remember a while back while on the subject of filters that Ross mentioned that kit beers don't have chill haze. There was mention of it originating from proteins in the malt of all grain beers, or something like that :)
Anyway, this has me wondering. Why is it that when a kit beer has been bottled and has sat in the fridge for a little bit it's perfectly clear but the same beer in a keg is cloudy?
Most of my kit beers in the keg are cloudy, even after sitting for a few weeks in the fridge. If it's not chill haze is it the yeast? I would have thought a couple of weeks would be enough time for it to settle.
Could it be that the beer dip tube is picking up the yeast? Would it help if I shortened it a bit?
Btw, I usually do secondary for a week and also cold condition for a week, though I sometimes wonder if it's all a waste of time. Is it really necessary for a kit beer?

I dont keg my beers so i dont really know waht im talking about.

i tihnk it could be yeast because at the same temp in the bottle an keg there is no reason for one to have chill haze and not the other.

How much of the beer have you poured out of the keg? does it happen all the way untill the keg is empty?

I remember a while back while on the subject of filters that Ross mentioned that kit beers don't have chill haze. There was mention of it originating from proteins in the malt of all grain beers, or something like that :)
Anyway, this has me wondering. Why is it that when a kit beer has been bottled and has sat in the fridge for a little bit it's perfectly clear but the same beer in a keg is cloudy?
Most of my kit beers in the keg are cloudy, even after sitting for a few weeks in the fridge. If it's not chill haze is it the yeast? I would have thought a couple of weeks would be enough time for it to settle.
Could it be that the beer dip tube is picking up the yeast? Would it help if I shortened it a bit?
Btw, I usually do secondary for a week and also cold condition for a week, though I sometimes wonder if it's all a waste of time. Is it really necessary for a kit beer?

Thunderlips,

I've been brewing kits for 15 years and kegging for 2. I have never racked any of them and haven't had a bad one yet. As for chill haze in kits, the only time I have had that problem is recently with a Mexican Cerveza that I boiled. I have also cut about 10mm off the dip tubes in my geks. It should help.
I've just done my first partial so anything could happen form here!!

How much of the beer have you poured out of the keg? does it happen all the way untill the keg is empty?
G'day Ash, it always seems to clear up when the keg is near on empty.
I suppose it is the yeast. Just that I thought a week of both secondary and CC would clear it up. I guess not.

I've been brewing kits for 15 years and kegging for 2. I have never racked any of them and haven't had a bad one yet.
Thanks Agarn.
Have most of your kegged beers been clear?
I might try cutting 10mm from the dip tube in one of my kegs and see how that goes.

I've been brewing kits for 15 years and kegging for 2. I have never racked any of them and haven't had a bad one yet.
Thanks Agarn.
Have most of your kegged beers been clear?
I might try cutting 10mm from the dip tube in one of my kegs and see how that goes.

Thunderlips,

The only time they haven't been clear is when I have given it a shake to carbonate and haven't given it sufficient time to settle. I usually find it can take two or three days to settle properly. Still tastes good but!

Almost definately yeast thunderlips,

Just leave in a secondary cube until completely clear before transferring to keg - If you're in a hurry, you could always filter it B)

cheers Ross

you filter your beer usually don't you Ross?

The problem I have is my fermenting chest freezer sits on the ground, so to drain my beer from secondary to keg I have to lift it up. no matter how gentle I am I always end up giving it a little stir. maybe I need a jack or something!!

you filter your beer usually don't you Ross?

The problem I have is my fermenting chest freezer sits on the ground, so to drain my beer from secondary to keg I have to lift it up. no matter how gentle I am I always end up giving it a little stir. maybe I need a jack or something!!

Yes, I filter 100% of my beers - Such a simple quick step in the kegging process, I just do it automatically.

cheers Ross

I would like to share in one beer you make sometime without filtering Ross
Cloudy or not I think it would be a good experiment

Batz

Batz

Done plenty without - you drank several at last years xmas swap here :)
It's just too late really, if it turns out to be cloudy once it's in the keg, so I filter as a precaution. If the beers clear already what's lost? - nothing, other than an extra 15 mins kegging.
A filtered beer is no different from one that's been given time to settle, guess I'm just an impatient bugger... :)

cheers Ross

Batz

Done plenty without - you drank several at last years xmas swap here :)
It's just too late really, if it turns out to be cloudy once it's in the keg, so I filter as a precaution. If the beers clear already what's lost? - nothing, other than an extra 15 mins kegging.
A filtered beer is no different from one that's been given time to settle, guess I'm just an impatient bugger... :)

cheers Ross

Okey Dokey :p
And I own a Craftbrewer filter now guys :blink:

Batz

you drank several at last years xmas swap here
cheers Ross

Trying to tell me something? :party:

Nah :D

Batz.jpg

Hi Thunderlips,
Same problem i have when I put my beer into a keg from (upto) 2 weeks cc,ing.
I have to move my jerry cube from the fridge to the bench to pour into my keg . I just put it down to the movement from fridge to bench that stirs up just a tiny amount of sediment (I try to be gentle)
I certainly know when the keg is running low, crystal clear beer.
Cheers Peter

Latest posts

Back