Chi Company Troubles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

proudscum

Reaction score
I ordered some Camlocks in January and then realised i needed to add to the order which was fine,but the parts had sold out.Waited 2 weeks parts back in stock ordered and payed for.Cool had a couple of 1/2 pounds of hops thrown in as there was space in the box and i thought $8 1/2 pound was fine.two things have happened 1/2 the order has turned up 8 weeks ago.
send email after email then ring half camlocks missing and 1/2 pound of hops(refunded while on the phone)still waiting 2 more phone calls to the states after not getting a tracking notice after more emails asking for one.

LJ501deleted full details
Priority Mail International Parcels
Electronic Shipping Info Received
April 02, 2012
International Letter

so the parts are still in a warehouse somewhere and for some reason after 5 weeks havent made it to the post office.
to top it all off i went to brew with the hops and then realised the Perle had no information on the Food saver bag that they had been sent in(All our hops are flushed and foil bagged proudly advertised on the web site)and smelt of cheese so binned the Willamette as you will see from the photo are brown loose and best of all mouldy.

The lesson i have learnt from all this is to research companys via other brewing forums to see what other customers experience has been and what the customer service is like.
i have resisted posting this, but take this as a warning if they screw your order up it pays not to hold your breath for a quick fix you may go mouldy.

I ordered some Camlocks in January and then realised i needed to add to the order which was fine,but the parts had sold out.Waited 2 weeks parts back in stock ordered and payed for.Cool had a couple of 1/2 pounds of hops thrown in as there was space in the box and i thought $8 1/2 pound was fine.two things have happened 1/2 the order has turned up 8 weeks ago.
send email after email then ring half camlocks missing and 1/2 pound of hops(refunded while on the phone)still waiting 2 more phone calls to the states after not getting a tracking notice after more emails asking for one.

LJ501deleted full details
Priority Mail International Parcels
Electronic Shipping Info Received
April 02, 2012
International Letter

so the parts are still in a warehouse somewhere and for some reason after 5 weeks havent made it to the post office.
to top it all off i went to brew with the hops and then realised the Perle had no information on the Food saver bag that they had been sent in(All our hops are flushed and foil bagged proudly advertised on the web site)and smelt of cheese so binned the Willamette as you will see from the photo are brown loose and best of all mouldy.

The lesson i have learnt from all this is to research companys via other brewing forums to see what other customers experience has been and what the customer service is like.
i have resisted posting this, but take this as a warning if they screw your order up it pays not to hold your breath for a quick fix you may go mouldy.

More mouldy Hops

Lesson definitely learnt but nowhere near as bad as yours. They seem happy to sell things yet they are 'in stock' but really that means a shipment is due so lets sell them early. I've ordered 3 times from them for various bits and pieces (no hops though) and every time something has gone wrong. Will just be sticking to other sources.

First I have heard of Chi having issues, have used them quite a few times without problems.....though, I'll add the caveat that things have always been in stock and I have not faced delays.

The mouldy hops is certainly a concern. Good luck and hope they work it out for you.

I haven't used Chi since about 2008, but those hops look :icon_vomit: have you send them the pic, they should refund them.

I'd be pissed off about the fittings, having to wait for them is bad enough, but to get the run around after being told they were in stock and then being out of stock...

Are you doing the full system in the US threads? I ended up staying to Aust for my camlocks to make sure I got my gear in the same thread.

QldKev

Ah the perils of online trading. I used to buy from the likes of hops direct but a couple of dud batches (German Hallertau for example that was worse, yes worse in quality and freshness than the original Chinese Saaz it that's possible) and also I went berserk and got a pound of Galena. What would one man do with a pound of Galena FFS??????

So on balance I find nowadays that if I stick local I'm really not much behind in dollars in the long haul, and I'm migrating to New Zealand hops now for most of my brews having now tried their excellent Cascade, Willy, Fuggles and Goldings etc. which you can't get bulk due to the NZ hop marketing setup.

Never heard of chi, a bit before my time - hope the parts arrive.

Those hops look :icon_vomit:

I had no trouble with my order from Chi, but found that using the web-based-chat thing (on the website) to be a more efficient method of communicating and getting quick answers, than calling them on the phone.

I haven't used Chi since about 2008, but those hops look :icon_vomit: have you send them the pic, they should refund them.

I'd be pissed off about the fittings, having to wait for them is bad enough, but to get the run around after being told they were in stock and then being out of stock...

Are you doing the full system in the US threads? I ended up staying to Aust for my camlocks to make sure I got my gear in the same thread.

QldKev

I have a plate chiller,March pump and Hop Rocket all sitting in boxes waiting for parts...as i wanted it to be all NPT fittings.
it hasnt stopped me brewing but just not the way i want to_Oh well i get to play on full size kit when i start a brewing job in a couple of weeks.

the only trouble i had was they took forever to ship it and they dont answer emails

Timing was right today and got on to the online customer service.Parts will be sent today(not holding breath)Might be lucky and get sent some replacement moldy hops.it has been 9 weeks since the order was cocked up so i must have been busy to not really notice that amount of time passing by.will keep you posted as to how it goes.

Thx for the advice about the on line support.

Proudscum

Wasn't there some problems with bulk kegs a few years ago?
I ordered 3/4 camlocks from them, 4-5 days and they were here.

I've ordered misc kegging/jockey parts and spares from chi quite a few times. Orders are shipped promptly and arrive quickly and the price is unbelievable.

But they never answer emails

I placed an order on the 27th April and the status of my order is marked as "processed - sent" whatever that means. According to the tracking info they gave me the item hasn't even been picked up "electronic shipping info received".

Can anyone indicate what it typically looks like once the items have been sent on CHI's tracking page? I read somewhere it gets marked as 'delivered' once it leaves their warehouse.

A pain in the arse IMO. All items appeared to be in stock and all coming from their main warehouse. Pretty piss poor service if it takes 13 days to package up a few disconnects and get them out the door, let alone to the other side of the planet.

Back