Chest Freezer Repair

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

komodo

Reaction score
Guys,

I have a 500L chesty thats been running well for about 2.5 years. Recently it has been running longer and the motor sounding louder (vibrating sound?)
I think whats happend it that the copper pipe has sprung a leak from the vibrations of the pump where its been joined. (assumption only)

Is it worth getting this fixed or when they do their gas are they a throw away item?

The compressor was just running flat out 24/7 when I realised.

edit - if it is worth fixing any recommendations around the frankston area? Im happy to take the freezer in for repair rather than on site...

Guys,

I have a 500L chesty thats been running well for about 2.5 years. Recently it has been running longer and the motor sounding louder (vibrating sound?)
I think whats happend it that the copper pipe has sprung a leak from the vibrations of the pump where its been joined. (assumption only)

Is it worth getting this fixed or when they do their gas are they a throw away item?

The compressor was just running flat out 24/7 when I realised.

edit - if it is worth fixing any recommendations around the frankston area? Im happy to take the freezer in for repair rather than on site...
its probably knackered. cut your loses and buy this. 700L is the way to go.

the old chestyies aregreat but once the compressor goes (or needs reapir and they cant really be repaired), they are stuffed. a new compressor is almost as much as a new fridge. A few of us have had issues with our chesties adn if its compressor related, it cactus or too expensive to repair.

you can ask for a fridge bloke to come out (pay ~$100 call out fee) and see what he says. you might get luckly. but then again you might also just blow $100.

my 320ltr just did the same thing, the fridge guys wasn't interested in coming out as it was too old, so I just bought another (2nd hand) 320lts, swapped the lids between both (as I have fonts) and it's all good now.

Hmmm Dont know that I can fit a 700L freezer - thats a big ******* freezer!
Infact if im going to replace this 500L unit im probably going to look for something smaller TBH

Hmmm Dont know that I can fit a 700L freezer - thats a big ******* freezer!
Infact if im going to replace this 500L unit im probably going to look for something smaller TBH
what do you mean you cant fit it? mine sits outside the house. your not a real kegger until you have a 700L chesty!! :lol:

the old ones are great but bloody hard to fix. its their only downfall.

what do you mean you cant fit it? mine sits outside the house. your not a real kegger until you have a 700L chesty!! :lol:

Second class kegerator if it has to be outside...Mines in the dining room so I don't even have to stand to pour the next drink lmao

Not a real kegger until the kegerators in the dining room :p :lol:

hahaha actually thats part of my want for a smaller unit - so I can have it in side.
I think im going to end up with a kegking kegerator.

Latest posts

Back