Chest freezer recommendations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
how do you fit 4 kegs without a collar in the hisense?

Could you fit 6 with a collar?

Interesting. Do you have a pic?
Here's the best one I have as i'm at work. The keg with the yellow ties sits half on the compressor hump and half on a small wood frame of the same height.

Cheers,
RB
Keezer.jpg

Edit, now I've actually bothered to read the OP, I realise this was about food and had gotten hijacked!

Anyway, for food, I'd recommend you sort out some solid storage that can handle some abuse (legally acquired milk crates are good for this), and then ensure you can fit these in. Make life so much easier if you know what's in each crate and where it is.

My 200l freezer only fits 1 milk crate on the bottom, but I use the gaps either side to store chunky things like roasts and ice bricks. I use the hump to store takeaway containers of pre-made whatever, and hops etc.

Something like this went for $100 the other day - spewing I missed it: https://www.appliancesonline.com.au/700l-westinghouse-chest-freezer-wcm7000wd/

/Edit - back to the keezer advice:

The main thing is depth I'd say. To maximise the use of the space, if you can get two kegs one in front of the other without having to offset, then this helps you get the most out of the available width.

I've seen some good upright keezers as well. Depends on what's available, gumtree always seems to have something for around the $100 mark.

Off topic a bit: I was quite lucky in that I scored a really old school freezer that still runs well. It has no hump, but rather it has the compressor etc behind a shround on the top. 6 pin lock corny's fit in it exactly, and now I have a mixture of pin and ball it's quite easy to fit 6 in there. The only issue with this sort of freezer is the lid is only half width, so you have to do a bit of rearranging to get the ones at the back.

Last edited:
Went to my local Good Guys the other day looking at chest freezers. In thinking more about it I’ll be looking at getting an upright. This will be for food storage only. Inlaws have a chest freezer we use for bait and it’s a pain in the arse to look for stuff on the bottom. A good upright with drawers is the go I think now.

I’m keen on one of these freezers but have heard the lid doesn’t seal properly around the handle. Have you noticed any issues with the seal? Cheers
No I don't have a problem with mine. Maybe this might happen if people have messed around with the hinges or fitted a collar?

Back