Chest freezer not getting cold

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FarsideOfCrazy

Reaction score
So it looks like my keezer is dieing. It's a F&P slim model, had it for about 10 years only used as a keezer.

A couple of weeks ago I noticed that it was running near constantly and not getting to the set temp.

Does this sound like it's a slow gas leak problem?

It happened to my chest freezer a few years back and I got a fridgey in to look at it. The thermostat was buggered, new thermostat and it's still running.
Was yours running constantly though or not running at all?

If it’s a chest freezer converted to a keezer it would presumably be using an STC/ Inkbird or similar external thermostat? If it’s running constantly sounds like the original thermostat if still connected and the STC are allowing it to run but it’s not dropping to set temp.

Last edited:
I’ve had a couple of fridges and freezers die on me like this. The last one would run constantly and just manage to maintain 18 degrees, but two weeks of running constantly makes for an expensive ferment! If it’s not the gas, then the compressor may have lost the ability to compress and move the gas, possibly because of something as simple as a worn seal. In my case, the cost of repair was more than the cost of replacement. Hopefully you have better luck than me.

If the thermostat goes the freezer normally won't run. I've turned a few f&p freezers into keezers most with buggered thermostats and they don't run at all with a broken thermostat. Running constantly and not getting cool must be something else. I had one freezer which had a pin hole in one of the copper lines Fridgey who repaired it said it can be common to get corrosion in the copper where it is always wet from condensation. If was pretty easy to see as there was a rusty spot and it will look a bit oily around it from the gas coming out.

If it’s a chest freezer converted to a keezer it would presumably be using an STC/ Inkbird or similar external thermostat? If it’s running constantly sounds like the original thermostat if still connected and the STC are allowing it to run but it’s not dropping to set temp.
The compressor is running non stop and it's not getting to the set temp of the inkbird, 4c, it's getting to around 6-7c whilst the compressor is running non stop. It used to run for about 10 min every hour or so.

Sounds like it still has gas (maybe not enough?) and still tries hard to get to temperature. Could be a compressor seal (but not worth the cost of the fix). Even a thermostat swap is not going to be free. Does it have external condenser coils? If so, #1 priority is clean the dust off these and see what happens. I'd also turn it off altogether for a few hours. Sometimes a freezer needs a big reset, in case there's something weird going on with liquid where there should be vapour and vice versa.

10 years, you've done well.

The local rat mafia had formed a cozy nest and chewed through the thermostat wiring. From memory it was running like normal but only getting to approx 13 degrees.

The local rat mafia had formed a cozy nest and chewed through the thermostat wiring. From memory it was running like normal but only getting to approx 13 degrees.
Fair enough. I thought a freezer would not run at all if the thermostat was stuffed.

Latest posts

Back