Chest Freezer Full Of Water?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pokolbinguy

The Pokolbin Brewhaus and Winery.
Reaction score
Every month or two I have to take my all my kegs out of my freezer and drain about 5ltrs of water out of the bottom of my freezer that has collected over that time through condensation.

I assume others have this issue aswell.

Any ideas how to combat this??'

I was thinking i could rig up something to the drain of the freezer so it all ends up in a container or similar. Has anyone done this before?

It is a 200ltr centrex chest freezer running at around 2-3 degs with a fridgemate.

Cheers, Pok

Consider yourself lucky. I usually end up with dregs of beer in the corner of my Centrex... which turn to mouldy dregs of beer, and uugggggggggggggggh.

I really need to install my external taps!

PS: I get no condensation issues... I run my Centrex at 4-6C.

well if im correct this meansu have differnt temp between kegs and air. do u a collar if so this needs to be insulated better. only legit wat this should hapeen if u are in chesty to much eg picnic tap. be care ful if u add a drain as i presume coils are in teh bottoms and sides

well if im correct this meansu have differnt temp between kegs and air. do u a collar if so this needs to be insulated better. only legit wat this should hapeen if u are in chesty to much eg picnic tap. be care ful if u add a drain as i presume coils are in teh bottoms and sides

My collar is just made of timber, and I have a computer fan installed which is meant to even the temp out.

I only open the lid to get glasses out. Say a couple of times a day.

There is already a drain in the floor of the freezer but I was thinking of attaching a hose etc to it.

Every month or two I have to take my all my kegs out of my freezer and drain about 5ltrs of water out of the bottom of my freezer that has collected over that time through condensation.

I assume others have this issue aswell.

Any ideas how to combat this??'

I was thinking i could rig up something to the drain of the freezer so it all ends up in a container or similar. Has anyone done this before?

It is a 200ltr centrex chest freezer running at around 2-3 degs with a fridgemate.

Cheers, Pok

Pok,

I use the same freezer and havnt had that issue to date. I use Damp Rid to absorb excess moisture.

This issue has popped up a few times lately - where abouts are you measuring the temp and how? Perhaps look into putting a small microswitch in place to turn the fan off when opening the lid so not to stir up the air at the top of the freezer. If you do get sufficient stirring, the top layer of fairly dry air will be replaced with moist air, once that cools the moisture will of course start to form around the coils and drop to the bottom of the freezer. Also make sure the seal between the collar and freezer is good.

Once it's all dried out (of course at the same time you've just introduced a whole new heap of moisture by having the lid open and stirring the air from around the bottom), use some moisture absorbant packs and see if you can put some thermometers at different heights in there to see if there is any temp differential.

Thanks guys. Any idea where to source these "moisture absorbent packs" and/or "Damp Rid"

Cheers, Pok

You are complaining about free water? :p

Could be freezing a some point and then warming up and melting? Sorry not able to help any more.

Had the same problems with my chest freezer.

I tried the Damp Rid stuff but it really couldn't keep up too well. Eventually I just decided to put up with it. The only thing I did was get the wet and dry vax out every week or so and suck any water out of the bottom of the freezer.

Not a solution to the problem but a way to keep it under control. By the way I've got a similar problem with an upright freezer as well. Not quite as bad though.

I think its due to warm moist air getting into the freezer. Water in the air condenses and your problem starts. So, I think it comes down to getting the water out of the air and stopping warm air from getting into the freezer. I was able to reduce the problem a little by blocking up the hole that the CO2 line goes through in my setup.

HTH

gary

If your getting that much water in your freezer I'd have thought that your collar or seal is leaking. Maybe you could check this by tring to pressurise the freezer very slightly through a tap or gas inlet hole and spray some detergent around the seal to check for bubbles. Doesn't sound easy but if it is that much of a problem could be worth a think about trying to do something like this.

Also I looked at your collar pics and noticed that you used solid timber with no insulation or sealing of the timber. Maybe the porous nature of the timber is allowing moisture in.

It spunds like you have a leak in your coller and the fan is effectively sucking in air, which in turn condenses and pools in the bottom. Plenty of ideas to remedy this above, but check for leaks first.

Latest posts

Back