Chest Freezer Conversions

• Thread starter bindi
  • Start date
Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

bindi

I know Doc has a Doc's link to chest freezer conversions which was good, I have seen Ross and others chest freezers with a collar which was also very good :) my question is for ideas to convert my new [today] 200L Centrex freezer for my bar now I have replaced the bar fridges and small chest freezer from under my bar[now in the sheds full of beer]. On the large granite bar[7' long] I have a Tipan 3 tap flooded font :) I have limited depth and height being a brick bar, so a large collar won't work as I will not be able to lift the lid to replace kegs etc :( I am just after ideas/photos of chest freezers with the beer/gas/Gycol lines giong through the lid or whatever before I start drilling ;)
Thanks Guys
I have done a Google search and found nothing I was after.

Hi Bindi,

Is there enough space beneath the bar to allow you to attach wheels to the freezer? Then you could simply wheel it out from under the bar whenever you need to open it. Could also be handy when you need to clean/service it. B)

Cheers,

Morrie

Morrie
[post="111981"][/post]​
[/quote]
Yep wheels I have, thanks for the reply :) my problem is I have only 540mm from the bar to the wall and the freezer is 610mm deep which fits under the bar perfect with 55mm clearance.but not much height to lift the lid.
I think I now have it sussed <_< I will raise the bar by one brick and put a small timber collar, say 30-40mm on it to drill the lines through.
Now to find a couple of strong guys to lift the granite bar off and lift the freezer over the brick bar :unsure: the stone mason next door is one but loves my beer too much [what the hell] I will have to put on a keg just for him :p who else can I bribe?

Some pics will help...

Before u goto all that trouble...

If you cut a square piece out of the seal - could all the lines then be threaded between the lid and base in the square section.

If so - then no brickie problems.
Just ensure taht the lines are long enough so that you can move the freezer.

Hope this helps.

GMK said:
Some pics will help...

If you cut a square piece out of the seal - could all the lines then be threaded between the lid and base in the square section.

Hope this helps.
[post="112025"][/post]​
Thanks Ken :) it just might, that's why I use this site all good tips :super:
I am off walkabout for a few days just to go feral ;) I always take plenty of beer, will post photos when I get back, not of me going feral that is too scary :unsure: .

bindi said:
I know Doc has a Doc's link to chest freezer conversions which was good, I have seen Ross and others chest freezers with a collar which was also very good :) my question is for ideas to convert my new [today] 200L Centrex freezer for my bar now I have replaced the bar fridges and small chest freezer from under my bar[now in the sheds full of beer]. On the large granite bar[7' long] I have a Tipan 3 tap flooded font :) I have limited depth and height being a brick bar, so a large collar won't work as I will not be able to lift the lid to replace kegs etc :( I am just after ideas/photos of chest freezers with the beer/gas/Gycol lines giong through the lid or whatever before I start drilling ;)
Thanks Guys
I have done a Google search and found nothing I was after.
[post="111978"][/post]​

Im very keen to see how this turns out bindi, i have a Tipan 3 tap flooded font aswell but am yet to obtain a chest freezer to mount it on. Love to see some pics once you have it finished.

i was reading this thread and got instantly dipressed.

I am planning a large freezer setup with 3 x 50 liter comercial kegs and a 3 tap font.

I will have it up against a wall and i wont be moving it back and forth to get the lid open.

I had already thought about the "lifting a full 50 liter keg" thing and planned to empty the keg and lift it out and clean it and them pressure pump the beer into the keg through a filter in the freezer so i dont have to lift it.

but back to the story....

I got a bit upset cause i thought...... how am i going to open the lid to a point and have it stay there so i can work in the freezer.

answer......

has anyone seen the pneumatic rams on car bonets and boots these days, i dont think they are real expensive.

one on either side of the lid will limmit the up travel and hold it up at the top, even if ita a 45 deg angle.

just a thought.

any comments?

cheers

I had already thought about the "lifting a full 50 liter keg" thing and planned to empty the keg and lift it out and clean it and them pressure pump the beer into the keg through a filter in the freezer so i dont have to lift it.

Good call Tony....now you got me thinking of 50s again..

Cant see why the rams wont work. Youd just have to make up a solid mounting point as the sheet steel in the lid may be a bit on the thin side to hold the weight...???Not to forget how close the cooling coils are to the inside of the body of the freezer.....'U' Brackets for the body???

GMK said:
Some pics will help...

Hope this helps.
[post="112025"][/post]​

It was a good idea Ken, but the lid is recessed and won't work cutting the seal <_< still thinking about it.
Quote Tony:

has anyone seen the pneumatic rams on car bonets and boots these days, i dont think they are real expensive.
Good idea tony :) never thought of that.

Link does not work bindi

I placed my freezer on those wheels you can buy for moving furniture,now I just roll it forward to access the kegs.
Bar is not finished yet but I still may post a piccy.

Batz

My bar and bar room is no where near finished as yet,and will never be a match for the likes of GMK or Ross's.
Still I poured my firt beer today.
Big thanks to GMK for many of the bits.

Got that 'rustic' look hey?

Batz

Looks GREAT Batz :beer: ready for your party in less then 2 weeks, which I will miss :(
Top stuff, love the font.

Batz said:
My bar and bar room is no where near finished as yet,and will never be a match for the likes of GMK or Ross's.
Still I poured my firt beer today.
Big thanks to GMK for many of the bits.

Got that 'rustic' look hey?

Batz
[post="114162"][/post]​
Itis not rustic enough Batz. It is missing the snake in he corner. Apart from that very nice and tempting to just sit in the corner and sample the goods.

Cheers.
PeterS.... :beer:

Well done Batz
So will you have 5 beers on tap at the same time.
I've got only 3, & they are more than enough.
But then again, where's Ross

normell said:
Well done Batz
So will you have 5 beers on tap at the same time.
I've got only 3, & they are more than enough.
But then again, where's Ross
[post="114182"][/post]​

I hope to normell,for my birthday one tap will be a Ross brew and one an AndrewQld brew.

Snake?
You have seen this place peterS
Could be a snake waiting there right now :eek:

Batz :chug:

Back