Chemical smell in Keezer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rossbaker

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I used treated pine to build the collar for my keezer. There is a really strong smell from the chemicals used to treat the pine which is still hanging around months after it was assembled. Very noticeable when you lift the lid. Beer tastes fine, but I do have one tap for soda water and I noticed that that was pouring with a faint hint of the smell. Could it be possible that the smell somehow permeated the plastic disconnect which was left disconnected for a while and then is flavouring the water?

I have not painted the collar, but simply given it a coat of beeswax to make it water resistant. I have recently pulled all kegs out for a clean and have given the disconnects a quick soak in some very hot water. The collar is not glued to the fridge - it can be lifted off if need be, but it would be a PITA.

Either way, I would like to find a way to get rid of the smell. Any ideas?

IMG_4235.JPG

razz said:
Activated charcoal comes to mind.
Hmmm, haven't previously heard of it but looks good. Maybe something like this. I've been meaning to buy a dehumidifier to install in there so maybe an odour neutraliser at the same time might be the go.

In the meantime, I have taken all of the kegs out to give them and the freezer a good clean and will leave the freezer off with the lid open for a while to dry and air out. I am also thinking that any gas or liquid disconnects that are not in use will get this treatment in the future:

IMG_4236.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Double stain the treated pine with something quite dark, hopefully that will stop the smell.

When you say beeswax, do you mean something like a furniture polish product? If so, that's your source of stench.

Best way to get rid of it is to remove the collar and wash it down with warm sodium percarbonate. If you have a pressure cleaner, use it to clean the wood. Otherwise just hose off at full pressure. You may want to do the warm sodium percarbonate wash a couple of times.

Once it's clean and thoroughly dry, you may want to paint it with a water based product. Choose something with low VOC.

A shellac based primer / sealer will also do a decent job at sealing the surface and should end up odourless after it has dried properly.

The smell is definitely not from the beeswax - it's completely unscented. It's the paint like smell that treated structural pine has, but stronger than usual and it's taking longer to subside. I still
have a few offcuts which also still have the smell but not as noticeable. When the keezer is closed for a while the smell seems to build up and is really noticeable when you open it again. It's currently switched off with the lid open. Hopefully airing it out will help. If possible I would prefer a solution that doesn't involve having to remove all the fittings like painting or staining. I'll do it if I have to but if there is a way the odour can be absorbed that would be better.

Simmering pot of vinegar is recommended for getting rid of odor washing out with bleach could also help.

Latest posts

Back