Cheese Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stuster

Big mash up
Reaction score
Any idea of the benefits of cheese for yeast production?

My junior assistant was helping me with a starter this evening. He was to hold the bung, not letting it touch the food counter. (Dinner had just finished, not cleared up. Trying to do five things at once is always the problem!) I poured the yeast into the starter, took the bung from the boy and as I put it in I noticed something fall into the beer - a grated bit of cheese. :blink:

Just so you know, it's a wheat beer yeast WLP300, with about a 1035 starter. Can I hope for cheese on toast beer?

Stuart

I'm not up on the production methods involved in commercial cheese, but you might want to hope there's no starter culture left alive in that cheese.

Revelutionary discoveries have been made due to little accidents just like that.

Stuster,
You can have a taste before pitching to see how it is.
Let us know how you get on.
You might even start a new strain. :)

johnno

What type or cheese was it?
Was it a block of kraft, coon cheese or something because I am sure that it is plastic and nothing is alive. If it was a King Island blue vain cheese or something I think you might be in for something wacky.

Cheese is not made with yeast, but bacteria. Good luck with your lambic starter.

The cheese was just a block of Mainland Cheddar so probably nothing in it I guess. Still, I wouldn't mind if my wheat beer morphed into a lambic.

Back