Cheese Fridge= Kegging Fridge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truman42

Reaction score
Im slowly starting to get into kegging but I know Im going to cop some grief from SWMBO about adding yet another fridge to our garage. Thats where Im hoping cheese will be my saviour.

She's wanted me to get into cheese making and Ive been reading up on various recipes and note that you have to age your cheese for 2-4 weeks at around 11C.

So any reason why I cant use a cheese fridge to double as my keg fridge and have a couple of kegs in the front and my cheese aging in a container on the compressor hump behind?

You will need us to come around and verify your setup and taste the beer and cheese in large quantities so that we can make sure both are OK

You will need us to come around and verify your setup and taste the beer and cheese in large quantities so that we can make sure both are OK

Ok I'll let you know when both is ready to test for me. :D

@Phoneyhuh Care to elaborate?

So any reason why I cant use a cheese fridge to double as my keg fridge and have a couple of kegs in the front and my cheese aging in a container on the compressor hump behind?
Yes.

We all know that pretty soon the Cheese fridge will be filled with beer and served at a slightly lower temperature, and there will be no room for making cheese.

Brew lagers. Then you can ferment at 11deg with your cheeses, and turn your fermentation fridge into a keg fridge.

Yes.

We all know that pretty soon the Cheese fridge will be filled with beer and served at a slightly lower temperature, and there will be no room for making cheese.

"Sorry honey I can't make cheese this month theres no room in the kegging, umm I mean cheese fridge"

Im sure that will go down well. :D

Its all in the way I do it. Get the fridge, make some cheese and sit it on the comp hump to age. Then say, "Hey I can fit a couple of kegs in here as well" then wait for.."I knew you had a hidden agenda" Unfortunately she can see right through me.

@Phoneyhuh...Ok, Im with you now, thanks.. :D

Brew lagers. Then you can ferment at 11deg with your cheeses, and turn your fermentation fridge into a keg fridge.

Probably not the best to mix cheese aging with beer fermenting unless you want cheese bacteria in your beers.

Agree with Nick, have taken up cheese making last week, and from my limited reading decided not to mix the two hobbies.

Use the pretense of cheese, brew beer in said cheese fridge, and the cheese can age under your armpits. Wife will never want cheese again, and you are free to use the fridge as you see fit :)

Probably not the best to mix cheese aging with beer fermenting unless you want cheese bacteria in your beers.

Thats why I was going to use the cheese fridge as a keg fridge and not a fermenting fridge. I don't brew lagers anyway.

did your wife approve this thread before you started it?

grow some nuts truman....does your wife ask you permission before she buys her latest high heels?

its ok to TELL your wife just dont ASK your wife ;)

Cheese does not like yeast/mould

with the exception of blue and other moulds

beer does not like lactobacillus

and fridge are hard to sanitize

mind you there are some beers with lacto , cannot remember where I read it

grow some nuts truman....does your wife ask you permission before she buys her latest high heels?

We have a deal, I stick to a budget with my hobbies and she sticks to a budget with clothes and girly crap. Shes kept her end of the bargain so I should stick to mine. Buying a cheese fridge is something we would both agree on and so is outside of the allowed budget...And I get a keg fridge out of it. :D

Glad someone said it. Just do it. If youre under the thumb, then deceive her. Tell her you got it from salvos for 10 bucks and its the most efficient model of its era.

Women dont need input into beer.

I would comment further, but I need to vacuum and iron before the boss gets home.

Glad someone said it. Just do it. If youre under the thumb, then deceive her. Tell her you got it from salvos for 10 bucks and its the most efficient model of its era.

Women dont need input into beer.

I would comment further, but I need to vacuum and iron before the boss gets home.

LOL...Its not an under the thumb situation. But I agreed with her to stick to a budget and it was my idea so she wouldn't spend shit loads on her crap. If I start doing what I want, she will do the same and we will have no money saved. If I sell the idea as a cheese fridge, which I want to get into anyway, its a win win without the hassles.

Sometimes its just not worth the hassle.

Back