Cheese Fridge= Kegging Fridge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't worry, I have the same arrangement with my wife. $X per fortnight to blow/save/smoke away, ebay also helps to boost the income ;p

Don't worry, I have the same arrangement with my wife. $X per fortnight to blow/save/smoke away, ebay also helps to boost the income ;p

How romantic.

Hey, doesnt cheese need airflow? That would justify the "variable air chimney" aka the three tap font poking from the top of the "cheese fridge"

Don't even get me started on smoking.
We both smoke but I was supposed to give up, because I smoke too much, where she only smokes less than 4-5 cigs a day. I did give up sort of (cut down heaps anyway) and saved a shit load of cash out of it, but its always a sore point and the source of many an argument with us.

How romantic.

Hey, doesnt cheese need airflow? That would justify the "variable air chimney" aka the three tap font poking from the top of the "cheese fridge"

I like it....Its on the list.. :D

I think the cheese fridge and kit should come from her budget.

LOL...Its not an under the thumb situation. But I agreed with her to stick to a budget and it was my idea so she wouldn't spend shit loads on her crap. If I start doing what I want, she will do the same and we will have no money saved. If I sell the idea as a cheese fridge, which I want to get into anyway, its a win win without the hassles.

Sometimes its just not worth the hassle.

do you wear that bandana to hide the heelmark on your forehead ?

and a pop-collar shirt to hide the dog leash bruises :lol:

Agreed, let her pay for the 'cheese fridge'. I guarantee she's not sticking to your loving agreement anyway, when the mid year sales are on.

You better not let her read this forum, or you might be grounded from visiting here.

I've thought about using a temperature controlled ferment fridge to do double duty as a cheese fridge... but I've always shied away, not wanting to mix cheese bacteria with beer yeast... yearck

Same thing with keg fridges. Last thing I want is cheese bacteria in my lines and fittings...

Perhaps just get two cheap barfridges and stack one on top of the other ;)

call it a vertical pigeon pair ;)

do you wear that bandana to hide the heelmark on your forehead ?

No mate, no heel marks. I'm not a male chauvinist who does what he wants when he wants and who cares about what the wife thinks or says.

We discuss things together, agree on things and stick to the plan (Well maybe the odd sneaky purchase but I'm sure she does too) And for that Im rewarded with a happy loving wife. ;)

I've thought about using a temperature controlled ferment fridge to do double duty as a cheese fridge... but I've always shied away, not wanting to mix cheese bacteria with beer yeast... yearck

Same thing with keg fridges. Last thing I want is cheese bacteria in my lines and fittings...

Perhaps just get two cheap barfridges and stack one on top of the other ;)

call it a vertical pigeon pair ;)

Ive actually already got two bar fridges, one for fermenting and the other is at work in storage but its too small for a keg fridge unless I butcher the freezer section. Then it wont fit cheese as well so would need a third fridge. This is on top of the other full size food fridge we already have in the garage as well. So trying to kill two birds with one stone.

I thought that cheese bacteria would be kept out as the lines under pressure and providing I clean my lines and fittings properly after each keg I shouldnt have any problems.

We discuss things together, agree on things and stick to the plan (Well maybe the odd sneaky purchase but I'm sure she does too) And for that Im rewarded with a happy loving wife. ;)

Too right. Why get married unless you respect that person enough to value their opinion? And discussing finances is all part of that.

Back on topic, someone did mention the issue of introducing moulds and bacteria to a keg fridge, which is valid. It's probably not so much of an issue in your case, as you'd have airtight kegs there, but I wouldn't want to ferment in the same fridge. Aside from that, there's no issue as far as I can tell. You need high-ish humidity when ageing cheese, and a small amount of air circulation, neither of which would adversely affect your kegs. Ultimately, you can age the cheeses in plastic containers, as long as you can crack them open to allow a bit of airflow.

The biggest issue would be the temperature, but serve up some English ales and set the fridge to 11*C and it's perfect.

Too right. Why get married unless you respect that person enough to value their opinion? And discussing finances is all part of that.

Back on topic, someone did mention the issue of introducing moulds and bacteria to a keg fridge, which is valid. It's probably not so much of an issue in your case, as you'd have airtight kegs there, but I wouldn't want to ferment in the same fridge. Aside from that, there's no issue as far as I can tell. You need high-ish humidity when ageing cheese, and a small amount of air circulation, neither of which would adversely affect your kegs. Ultimately, you can age the cheeses in plastic containers, as long as you can crack them open to allow a bit of airflow.

The biggest issue would be the temperature, but serve up some English ales and set the fridge to 11*C and it's perfect.

Thanks mate for the information. I only have one keg for now and will probably time it so the cheese is just about ready by the time Im ready to keg and carb and can then move the cheese to the food fridge to eat. So might only be a small overlap here and there depending on how my brew and cheese making schedule clashes overtime.

My keg fridge was free, and the fermenting fridge was close to it, there was even a working fridge in the shopping-center-carpark just last week, so IMHO you don't need a new fridge, or the extra trouble having fridge-finance approved by SWMBO to get yourself a keg fridge. ;)

I had the same thought.
Maturing camembert 11deg, check.
Brew lager coincidentally also 11deg, check.
I had the cheese/beer brain wave. Why not do it in the same fridge at the same time?

Beer turned out ok, but the cheese..... wow.
It must have caught something off the beer.
You have never tasted anything like it. :icon_vomit:
Straight in the bin.

I just scored an 8-bottle wine cooler for $39 from one of those deal of the day sites.
Fan-forced, and adjustable from 16 to 8 deg.
I can get my fermentation fridge back for beer now :lol:

Keep your eyes open, I'm sure evil bay would have them as well.

Cheese

Campbell

edit: grammar

That's what I use.

Just a word of warning, these are often peltier cooled which means that they'll drop the temp up to 10*C from ambient. That's fine if you keep it in the house, but if it's in the shed on a 40*C Perth day, it will struggle to maintain high 20's/low 30's. Mine is now inside and does the job perfectly. Initially I had a bowl of salt water in the bottom of the fridge for humidity, but it seems to be fairly humid in there anyway without that (hygrometer regularly reads 70% which is perfect).

A wine fridge would certainly be a good idea but I want to try and have a dual purpose keg/cheese fridge. Its not so much the cost of getting a fridge, Ive already got one anyway.
Its trying to minimise the amount of fridges I have.

Latest posts

Back