Help Support Aussie Homebrewer by donating:

1. We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.
    Dismiss Notice

Cheeky Peak SS Mesh Brew Basket

Discussion in 'Gear and Equipment' started by JDW81, 7/11/19 at 3:35 PM.

1. JDW81

I make wort, the yeast make it beer.

Posted 7/11/19 at 3:35 PM
    Does anyone have any experience with the cheeky peak SS mesh brew baskets?

I'm moving around a bit the next few years, and my current 3v setup, while excellent, is a little cumbersome and time consuming to set up.

I'm thinking of converting my 15 gallon blichmann MLT into a "braumiser" type setup, and am looking for a straightforward malt pipe setup to convert it. I'd continue to use my RIMS tube and boil with my mongolian burner (won't be able to run 15A in rentals), but may consider full electric in the future.

Also open to other suggestions for malt pipes (would prefer this to a bag setup).

JD

2. razz

Pro Pro

Posted 7/11/19 at 11:46 PM
    The only thing that you would need to confirm JD is how well the basket legs would sit inside the Blichmann, I have a gen 1 15 gallon and I think the tapered bottom maybe just on 35cms. Apart from that it should work really well.

3. JDW81

Posted 8/11/19 at 6:30 AM
    Thanks Razz,

I thought that may be a problem. I could always leave the false bottom in, it’s a pretty sturdy bit of kit and would probably hold the weight no worries without buckling.

JD

razz likes this.
  4. Roosterboy

Posted 8/11/19 at 7:10 AM
    I got these made years ago mainly for a 40 L urn .There are many people around Oz using them.
    I still use it on a regular basis and I love it BUT not the volume that CP are and I think there could be some
    problems with the large baskets. I didn't have a catch on the bottom of the baskets so can't comment.
    But over about 8kg of grain it's starting to get pretty heavy and you should use a pulley / hoist to lift it.
    The beauty of these is they make for a quick brew day but they AREN'T as efficient as other mashing methods.
    That's why the Braumeister has solid sides so the flow through the grain goes all the way through the grain bed.
    In the CP ones, the larger the volume of grain , I would expect efficiency to fall further. In the baskets I had made
    the maximum amount of grain used was up to 8 kg and you could still mix the grain around with a spoon and the
    grain to water ratio was still pretty good. You could put foil on the sides of the basket from CP . It would be good
    if someone could do some comparisons and experiments to see how efficiency goes.

5. JDW81

Posted 11/11/19 at 9:12 PM
    Good point.

I had noticed most of the single vessel brau type setup and solid sides. The CP jobbie is essentially a large BIAB basket.

I’m not overly concerned about efficiency (to a point) so long as I’m consistent. If I need an extra 10% grain for each batch then so be it.

Does anyone make a malt pipe that isn’t specifically a replacement for a brau/brewzilla/etc? I do like the idea of the solid sides so I can hook up the RIMS and use the grain bed to filter the wort.

JD