Checking Recipe-been A While

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eyelusion

Reaction score
Hi all,
I've just moved to Adelaide and have started brewing again (it's been a couple of years) so I just wanted to check that this recipe I'm about to do is all good. Any advise is good :)

Coopers PA tin
1kg DME
500g Dextrose
200g crystal
30g POR
S05 yeast (red packet)
21 litres filtered water

-Boil grain with 2 litres water, 200g malt and 20g POR for 10 min
-Ferment @ 16-18 degrees
-Dry hop 10g 2 days before bottling

I always use hydrometer :)

Have i missed anything? will this be fine and all?

Cheers guys, I'm a little unsure of myself atm with this but I remember you guys were all so helpful before with my brewing so thx in advance

Don't boil the grain. Steep then drain and boil the steepings. Not sure why 21 litres I would go the full 23L with 200g of crystal. Swap 10g at 10 and 20g dry. That should do it..

my 2 c

Cheers.

Temp is ok, maybe go 17-20 though instead of 16-18.

Also, don't boil your grain. Just steep them at around 65-70 degrees will be good.

It'll be a pretty big beer with that much fermentables though. Not sure what your tastes prefer...

I'd also (personal preference) probably not go with that much POR. That tin is already bittered, and you'll get more out of the POR obviously. May be a bit much i reckon.

I've also used POR late, and it wasn't bad, it just wasn't all that good for me. Not sure it's something i'd do again.

What are you trying to brew? A standardish Aussie Ale?

How are you at reculturing yeast? If you can, then i'd strongly suggest doing something like, the tin, the ldm, maybe 10-15g POR for 60min and some recultured coopers yeast. Ferment it around 18deg.
If you like Coopers Pale, this will (off the top of my head) go pretty close. Im sure Coopers use wheat malt in their pale too, but you could easily omit it and still have a nice CPA inspired ale.

I'd steep the grain at 65C for 20mins, remove the grain and then add your malt. Boil your hops in this. Boiing the grain directly can extract unfavourable flavours.

For me personally i wouldn't dry hop the beer with 30g of POR.

Something else you could try if you're looking for that aussie lager flavour try using swiss lager yeast (s189) fermented at 12C on the above brew, or even ferment the us05 really low. Say 16C for a week and then bump it up (20C) at the end to finsih it off. I used to keep my fridge at a constant 16-16.5C and my beers on US05 always came out really clean.

And if you cultured up some coopers yeast you could make a good coopers pale ale clone if you left out the hops boil and fermented at 16.5C

Don't boil the grain. Steep then drain and boil the steepings. Not sure why 21 litres I would go the full 23L with 200g of crystal. Swap 10g at 10 and 20g dry. That should do it..

my 2 c

Cheers.

Yeah cheers, I won't boil grain... just steep. Was 21 litres of water to top up which will make 23 :) and yeah will do 10g at 10 and 20g dry.

Cheers all

Back