Cheaper Solution Pump Ideas

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wisey

Reaction score
I often work on these little flojet pumps and was wondering what is stopping people using them? The ones I work on have been used in acidic enviroments such as liquid fertilser applications - then they are used in herbicide/insecticide apps with no real detrimental effects that I can see on the pump assembly itself. And the best part is it takes 5 seconds to open the pump up and clean it if need be.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/WATER-PUMP-12-VOLT-...id=p3911.c0.m14

Hi Wisey,

Are you refering to them as a possible replacement for the march pump? If so, I'd be careful about what happens to them when you try to pump boiling liquid or even liquid above 60degC.

Cheers SJ

Wisey....three things come to mind with this pump

1. Starting bid at 70 bucks plus 20 frieght in Australia and requires a power supply 12V min @7 amps
2. A battery eliminater 12V @ 10 amps you can pay 200 bucks plus for a commercial version. Yeah I
Know you could use a 12 volt battery and a charger.
3. Doesn't say and is a stumbling block for most cheaper pumps is the ability to withstand up to 100C
hot fluid as well as stating no warranty if inline filter not used. That in itself could be a problem with
wort.

I bought a magnetically coupled pump for $70 for hot water circulation off ebay for some tests, there are some available there that show you can hook them up inline to your shower and handle up to 110C, with max 30% glycol concentration. I havent tested it yet but I'm a bit dubious about the plastic fittings. Just because they say you can hook it up to a shower doesn't mean the fittings are food grade. The same should apply for those kinds of pumps. Bilge pumps are designed for rough environments (sea water and stuff) but it doesn't imply if its food grade.

Back